Help, found something moldy in my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CompMage

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'll start this calmly......AHHHHHHHHHHH

Now that is out of the way let's get to business.

I came come from a long weekend spent at my fancies place and looked into my dwarf puffer tank. And saw this massive thing of what could only be described IMO as mold at the bottom. At first I could not find any of my puffers but as soon as they swam up to greet me like they normally do I was even more perplexed.

The tank in question to the best of what I have to test with (sorry if I'm missing things I need a new test kit.)

Currently lightly planted.
5 Gallon HEX tank, custom filter.(replaced bio wheel and filer with floss)
2WPG
CO2 - 20ppm
PH 6.9
KH 100PPM
GH - No test sorry
NH4 - 0.00 or no reading.
NO3 - No test sorry

Sorry I'm at work and can't remember any more of my readings. If I remember I'll get on at home and post more complete readings from the time of the disaster.

Anyways..... First thing I think is GET THIS STUFF OUT. So in with my net and I pull the bulk of it out as best I could. I then vac the gravel. When I got it out I looked threw what I pulled out and other then some brown specs I could not find anything. I left my net on the counter over night and when I got up the next day, the stuff had turned in to a hard brown, rank smelling mass. I can't figure out what it was!!!

I've only had the puffers about a month and I'm still learning about them. Do you all think it might be safe to use a anti-fungal med in the tank? I've already done a 20-30% water change, and think it might be good to do a few more as I was not able to get everything out of the tank.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris

you've eithe got some kinda algea bloom thats gone crazy of a bacterial bloom, i'd say if its spreading that quick and the fish are fine its algea, get a Phosphate test kit and post the results for your tanks water and your tap water

Back
Top Bottom