Help! German Rams attacking Discus! (Pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julianhossini

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i recently added 2 young little discus too my tank and i got 2 german rams in there a week earlier and they seemed to be getting along but recently today i noticed to german rams attacking my discus here and there. I also see my german rams sweeping away a lot of sand in a corner behind a plant and i was thinking maybe they are clearing the area out to lay some eggs? If so maybe this is why they are being more aggressive?

Attachments

• image-3006852617.jpg
    image-3006852617.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 94
  • image-1545215389.jpg
    image-1545215389.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3372151945.jpg
    image-3372151945.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 96
what size is your tank?

Increase aggression and territorial nature occurs when your tank is too small.

Its a 30 gallon, but theres plenty on hiding spaces and the discus are only a couple inches right now

Attachments

• image-3667931000.jpg
    image-3667931000.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 67
Yes, they are most likely getting ready to spawn and are trying to keep the discus away from their nesting site. Is there any way you can add more plants around their area without disturbing them overly? More cover will give them alittle added security and can help with aggression.

Yeah i got another plant yesterday but its probably still not enough and im broke but ima try n find a way to get some plants today then, it seems like the ram are attacking my slightly bigger discus an then the bigger discus picks on the small one! And it looks now like my bigger discus has a small wound next to his mouth! This is so frustrating, everything i read said they would get along but i dont want my discus getting hurt! Will his wound heal? Should i worry about it?

One thing that will help the wound heal faster is do alot of WC's. Clean water will help healing alot. This may sound weird but if you have a small plate, like a desert plate or even a coffee saucer see if there is a way you can take it and lean it against the rocks to give a more private sheltered area for the rams. Plus to break their line of sight up away from the discus. One plant that would be good is water sprite. It's lacy and grows big fast and will really help break up the space but also give shelter for the rams and eventually the fry. You can move the plant later but for now put it where it needs to be. The bigger rams is just redirecting aggression to the smaller one so you need to try to break the cycle. Another option is trying to put a temporary divider up in the tank so the discus are kept out of the line of fire. But as you can afford you need to really put alot of plants in the tank. It really will help. But for now make do with items you have on hand that are tank safe and try to help give the rams some privacy and space of their own.

Back
Top Bottom