Help Goldfish sitting on bottom.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemomma456

Aquarium Advice Activist
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

I have a feeder goldfish most likely a comet. He is very lethargic and sitting on the bottom.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia is at most 0.25ppm
Ph is between 7.4-7.6
Nitrates at 10ppm
Nitrites at 0ppm

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

29 gallon and a few years

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Tetra whisper ex45

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

Goldfish 5.5 inch and almost 2 inch

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

About a week ago and almost once a week. Vaccine is very infrequent.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

A few years.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

A new goldfish the about 2 inch

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Goldfish pellets and flakes

Included is a picture of the new and old goldfish.

Let me know what you think asap! If you need more pictures or info also let me know.Image.jpgImage%20(1).jpg

Prob a bacterial infection, like columnaris. Vacuum gravel well, water change, and add Furan-2 from api. 10 packs in a box. You'll need 3 for treatment, 4 times. So you'll have to buy 2 boxes unfortunately. Could be fungal, prob sounds like cotton mouth disease. New fish prob brought it in. It is contagious. Also, the Furan-2 will prob kill most or all of your beneficial bacteria. You could remove the fish and treat them in a smaller container with an air stone and pump. Then just follow directions on the box

Back
Top Bottom