HELP! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheezysquirrelz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gal tank with a molly (in breeder net), a paradise gourami, a gourami (white with 2 black spots), 4 neon tetras, 5 zebras ( 1 short fin, 3 long fin, 1 glo fish), a very small angel fish, a pleco, and some cories. I looked in my tank yesterday morning, and my glo fish was dead and was missing an eye. That evening, I found that the small angel's eye was missing too. This morning I noticed that a zebra's eye was missing! I took my angel to my neighbors house ( they have a tank). What could be causing this???????? :cry:

Well first of all it sounds like your 20 gal tank is a little crowded. That angel fish will need a bigger tank one day or that one to itself. Plecos grow very large as well and will definatly need a larger tank as it ages.

As for the eyes going missing the culprit may be your paradise fish, they are known to be semi-aggressive and he might feel crowded.

I would immediately suspect the 'paradise gourami'. The Paradise Fish (Macropodus opercularis) is an anabantoid...like the gouramis...but can have a decidedly nasty temperament. Now that you've removed the angelfish...if the problem with missing eyes continues you can pretty much bet it is the Paradise that is the culprit.

Thanks.......but what can I do with the paradise fish? I have an empty 5 gal that I was thinking of moving 1 or 2 fish into. Should I move 1 or both gouramis into it? Also can gouramis tolerate salt? The angel is about 1 inch tall, and the pleco is about 3 inches long. I was planning to give the two to someone who has a bigger tank when they get too big or get a bigger tank in the future.

Also can gouramis tolerate salt?

Depends on what you mean by tolerate salt. When I do my water changes I add a tablespoon of Doc Wellfish's Aquarium salt for every five gallons I am changing. This is the normal dose to help reduce stress on the fish. Gouramis will do well with those conditions. They will not however, tolerate actual "salt water."

Back
Top Bottom