Help help help help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the same cory. He has to be the cutest thing. I need to get more b/c he's the only one I have. They like friends. Right now, he's going up and down the side of the tank looking at himself wanting to play.

If you are doing daily pwc's the water parameters are stable.... constantly clean...... with same pH and KH

If you are doing weekly pwc's you want to get rid of nitrates, but not have pH, KH change by much.

If you wait too long KH drops and nitrates rise then with a huge PWC the quick change in water parameters (including temp) can stress fish... if repeated this can cause the fish to be disease prone.

So, if you need ultra clean water, do 50% PWC's daily with water of the correct temperature and you will have no fluctuations and your fish will do great. But most also do really well with weekly 25-30% pwcs. Large PWCs with a long gap between means the water parameters will fluctuate a lot. Repeating this really stresses out some fish.

Instead of constantly being antagonistic, absorb the advice given to others and consider the particular situation about which the advice is being dispensed. Tank maintenance and treating fish are entirely different.

All posts in a thread should be directed to help the OP, and if you want to discuss a different opinion start a new thread.

So am I not right about major water changes stressing fish? If you were referring to me I don't see how I am being antagonistic. I simply stated where I got my advice from.

Medication also stresses fish........... But you treat because it is a benefit in the long run.

Again, treating fish is a different proposal.

Major pwcs stress fish when water parameters fluctuate. If you are doing daily pwcs there is little fluctuation, just keeping the water clean.

That is the difference.

Wow thats a lot!
No only 50% and i no longer have ammonia or Nitrite =D =D
So really happy and his fins are almost back also he has coloured up beatifully! Will post a photo

People who keep discus like that are generally extremely high-quality breeders, who also keep them in completely bare tanks so they get the best quality of color.

Discus are fine in a large tank with a good water change schedule.

I tried my hand at discus. I was miserable because they kept dying on me. I felt so bad. Now I know I will never again get a discus if PWC are so frequent. It's too bad because they're so pretty and gentle.
Yeah but they are such hard work! Dont feel bad you did your best =D :D:eggface:

Back
Top Bottom