Help holy cow help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JacksonJigsaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i bought a Whisper EX30 HOB Filter, plugged it in, and its LOUD AS ALL GET OUT!!!!!!!! NOTHING CLOSE TO A WHISPER!!!! took it apart, moved it around NOTHING

I have a pf10 for my 10 gallon, silent as a mouse and it is right next to my bed, i have to touch it to make sure it is still running, This other one is RIDICULOUS!

I hear canister filters are WAY quite, I need a quite canister for a 30 gallon that is around 100 or less, any ideas!??! THANK YOU

Fluval 205 should do nicely! They are very quiet filters ... my fish make more noise than my 404. I recently saw a 205 for around $90 on Amazon ... may even be a bit lower.

Whisper filter has never been quiet for me... they should get nipped in the butt for nameing that thing wrong :banghead:

aquaclear has been great for me, very quiet and <$100 by far

jcolon said:
Fluval 205 should do nicely! They are very quiet filters ... my fish make more noise than my 404. I recently saw a 205 for around $90 on Amazon ... may even be a bit lower.

Hahaha! I learned something new tonight...fish farts are louder than canister filters :). I totally agree though, my Fluval 405 is borderline silent. I have to stick my hand in once in a while to make sure it's still running. I've never owned one, but the AQ's are supposedly very quiet as far as HOB's go.

And yeah, I had a Tetra Whisper EX 70 that sounded like an airplane was taking off.

Do petsupermarkets usually carry any of those canisters? That's where I got this ridiculous insomnia machine and it would be easier to exchange than return, wait a week for the refud to kick in, than order a new one and wait for that to come in.

Yes. Definitely. Petsmart and petco will have either eheims or fluvals both are excellent choices.

Thank you! Tommorow morning I'm going to return this nonsense and even if it is more money, I'd rather have sleep and enjoy my fish rather than throw something through their tank in the middle of the night.

They rob you at the pet store though. I picked up my 405 for $129 on Amazon...at the LFS it was $240!!! Can't remember what it was at the chain store...but I'm sure there's a high markup there too. Online is definitely the way to go assuming you can deal with the sound for a few days.

I'm gunna take a list of prices and if it's a few bucks more I'll go for it, if I can save allot than I'm just going to go out of town for the weekend and when I get pack the new filter should have arrived lmao

I picked up a sun sun canister filter on eBay that is meant for a 75 for like $55 and one with a uv light for $100 and that's with shipping.

I got my 305 for like 120 at petsmart on sale. So I'd just check it out. They're generally always on sale since people that go to cookie cutter stores tend to eye HOBs more than canisters.

I have a tetra whisper 10i that's really quiet.. haha I guess cause my water level is high.

One word AMAZON 95% of the time stuff there Is way cheaper and sometimes they offer free shipping if the order is over $25.00 so check that out

I have a Rena xp4 canister that I got on sale at pet smart for only $160 normally over $250 but that's for tanks up to 265 gallons. You can pick up smaller one like Rena xp2 for under $100. I had used both and they are very quiet. The smaller (xp2) you have to put your ear against it and you still might not hear it. The larger (xp4) has a very quiet hum but still hardly noticeable.

ReefPhan_Harpua said:
I don't wanna hijack the thread, but I've used only HOB for fresh h20. Is canister the way to go?

IMO they are. They give you great flexibility and space to run different types of media (plenty of room for ceramic bio-media), they are normally considered superior in efficiency, and they are extremely quiet. The downsides are cost, and some people say they're harder to clean...honestly I don't see any big deal with cleaning them. I fill a bucket with water from the tank every 2 weeks, swish all the media and baskets around in it to remove debris, rub the inside down with an algae sponge, and clean the hoses every month. For me, it's less of a hassle than pulling my HOB off the tank and sloshing water everywhere on the way to the tub, lol.

So i went back and the guy felt bad and got me a c-220 marine land 220gph, and it sounds ALLOT quiter except for a lil noise that sounds like either the bio-balls or something moving around, wil this go away or is something wrong?

Back
Top Bottom