Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
i think you're getting short changed on this 1/2utility contract. she's obviously using more than you're. i would crank up the fish tank electricity bill if i were you. all joking aside, i run my 65gal planted tank with around6-8 dollars a month
__________________

__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Skifflexie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post

i would say around $5-10 more, not that big of a deal. and if you have everything on a timer, then it's only a few dollars a month. i also saw some other tanks and i think you should consider to talk to the sellers privately and as detailed as possible. i wouldn't want to waste your gas money for things that only look good on pictures. there's also other deals that i saw and you should weigh on those as well. for instance, the first link doesn't tell you whether it has a hood or light. so i want you to be careful when it comes to CL postings
Thanks, that makes sense. You have been so helpful. If you see anything that looks like it could be a good deal you are more than welcome to link them to me, but don't go out of your way unless you want to lol, I don't want to bother you to much.
__________________

__________________
Skifflexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
assuming everything is good, i only have two concerns for you: weight of the tank and water channges. for big tanks i recommend getting a water changer, like the one made by aqueon. the regular $15 water hose/siphon isn't going to cut it. 2, the tank and water together could easily top over several hundred pounds, make sure u have the flooring strength for that if you live on non-ground floor
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Skifflexie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post
assuming everything is good, i only have two concerns for you: weight of the tank and water channges. for big tanks i recommend getting a water changer, like the one made by aqueon. the regular $15 water hose/siphon isn't going to cut it. 2, the tank and water together could easily top over several hundred pounds, make sure u have the flooring strength for that if you live on non-ground floor
How will I know if the floor can handle to weight? It's being built at this very moment, we will be the first ones to live there. My bedroom is on the 2nd floor
__________________
Skifflexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Kimlafeiet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 680
You might want to check with your new place as to weather or not you can have a tank that large. There are a lot of places that restrict you from having tanks over a certain size, or even all together. As far as the 2nd floor goes, they can probably tell you weather it will support the tank or not. If you can, make sure to put the tank on a supporting wall and floor joists for more support. Typical rule of thumb is that each "gallon" of tank is apx 8-10lbs, plus stand and decor, gravel etc. So a 55 gallon tank wieghs in at probably about 600 lbs.
I also agree with huizheng about the water changer.............it is worth every penny!
__________________
What did the fish say when he swam into a wall? "Dam!"
Kimlafeiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skifflexie View Post
How will I know if the floor can handle to weight? It's being built at this very moment, we will be the first ones to live there. My bedroom is on the 2nd floor
if this is a new building, then i wouldn't worry about things collapsing. the most assuring way to check is obviously hire an engineer. but hey, who has the money for that. as long as you don't put the tank dead center, then you should be fine. putting the tank along where the structural frame of the building is always a good idea, such as where the walls join and form a corner. This is the reason why people don't have a large aquarium anywhere else other than first floor.
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Luananeko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,679
I think the general rule is to avoid anything over 75 gallons on the second floor unless you've specifically overbuilt the house to handle the weight... So neither of the tanks you're looking at should cause issues if it's new construction.

That said, getting the Glo Fish into something 15g minimum, ideally 20g+ would be my first priority if I were you. Glo Fish are basically genetically modified Zebra Danios, who really need their tank length to get up speed for chases. They're not very messy, just very, very, hyper. They also tend to be pretty mean to each other if kept in groups less than 6-8, so they'll be much happier with enough friends to chase around. I'd really like to strangle whatever PR guy thought it was a good idea to market all these 5 gallon and smaller tanks as "Glo Fish Tanks"
__________________
Luananeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scottyhorse's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,823
I agree. You need to really figure out your stocking before thinking about getting new fish. Your tanks are seriously over stocked, and a lot of the fish that need schools aren't in schools.
__________________
Starting over...... Kinda.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now


Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Skifflexie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
I agree. You need to really figure out your stocking before thinking about getting new fish. Your tanks are seriously over stocked, and a lot of the fish that need schools aren't in schools.
The entire thread is about getting larger tanks..... Not about getting more fish.....
__________________
Skifflexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scottyhorse's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,823
I didn't mean more fish, but I think before getting more stuff, you should figure out your stocking, first.
__________________
Starting over...... Kinda.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now


Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
aquandrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: waconia minnesota
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luananeko View Post
I think the general rule is to avoid anything over 75 gallons on the second floor unless you've specifically overbuilt the house to handle the weight... So neither of the tanks you're looking at should cause issues if it's new construction.

That said, getting the Glo Fish into something 15g minimum, ideally 20g+ would be my first priority if I were you. Glo Fish are basically genetically modified Zebra Danios, who really need their tank length to get up speed for chases. They're not very messy, just very, very, hyper. They also tend to be pretty mean to each other if kept in groups less than 6-8, so they'll be much happier with enough friends to chase around. I'd really like to strangle whatever PR guy thought it was a good idea to market all these 5 gallon and smaller tanks as "Glo Fish Tanks"
those tanks make me so mad my chain lfs has a 1 gallon glow orb an on the front has a pic with 2 glow danios in it and they have a 2 gallon cylinder. i see people buying them all the time its really sad. those danios need a 20 long minimum they are fast and need swimming space
__________________
aquandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Skifflexie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
I didn't mean more fish, but I think before getting more stuff, you should figure out your stocking, first.
I don't mean to sound rude or snarky. But how do you suppose I fix my schools in a tank that is overcrowded, without buying a new tank, that will require me to a new filter, new lights, new heater, etc.....? All I'm trying to do on this thread is find out a good sized tank, that I can find a cheap hood/cover, good filter, and heater..... All while being on a pretty strict budget, hence why I'm really thinking the tank size/issues and prices that come with that..... And not impulsively going to petco and dropping 200+ that I don't have to waste....

I've had these fish, with the exception of the neon tetras since I got my tanks- January..... In January I listened to everything the petsmart lady had told me do, bought all the merchandise she suggested..... Due to my ignorance at the time, yeah I bought 3 tiger barbs, not 5+ I was still told they would school. I only have two glow fish due to the price they were and the fact of how small the tank is....
__________________
Skifflexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
aquandrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: waconia minnesota
Posts: 1,803
well what is your budget? 29 gallon deluxe starter kits are like 80-90 bucks at petsmart and come with heater, tank, filter, hood and fluorescent full spectrum lights. they are 10-15 dollars more at petco
__________________
aquandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
ok, everyone just calm down a little. i'm sure by now she's learned the proper way of taking care of the fish, hence the reason why she's getting a bigger tank. we all started somewhere, whether under proper guidance or trial-and-error. let's just give her the advices she needs for this particular thread. i'm sure she's going to do more research the next time she plans on getting some fish.
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Luananeko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,679
My interpretation is that she'd be moving her existing fish into said larger tank(s) that she's looking into. So the first step is to figure out what size she can put in the space/placement of her house she has available, and from there the stock that will fit there. The Glo Fish and pleco could go into the 20g which should leave the 15g at a better stocking level until she can get another tank or a larger tank to vacate it. If she goes with the 40 gallon, then she can probably fit more fishies (depending on how much is left in the 15 gallon that need to move out)
__________________
Luananeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Skifflexie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
well what is your budget? 29 gallon deluxe starter kits are like 80-90 bucks at petsmart and come with heater, tank, filter, hood and fluorescent full spectrum lights. they are 10-15 dollars more at petco
The petsmart in my town doesn't have the 29 gallon deluxe kit..... The closest thing they have is a 29g tank with hood that is $80.00.

The petco here only has 20g tanks, no equipment included.....

I'll be brutally honest, because I have no problem saying I happen to be from a low income family growing up, and still am low income. That the last month of a semester in school is the hardest financially, due to the fact I rely solely on loans and grants to pay for school. My next loan disperses the second week of August..... I have a job on the weekends back in my home town that pays me $100.00 per weekend, but between gas, dog food, and my food, there is nothing. I have been trying to get a part time job in columbia, but with being prevet and being in upper level science classes, it's hard to balance that and aim for a 3.5-4.0 GPA.

So at this very moment in time..... I have $200.00 in my bank account. I'll have 300 come Friday..... That's my budget.....
__________________
Skifflexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Skifflexie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luananeko View Post
My interpretation is that she'd be moving her existing fish into said larger tank(s) that she's looking into. So the first step is to figure out what size she can put in the space/placement of her house she has available, and from there the stock that will fit there. The Glo Fish and pleco could go into the 20g which should leave the 15g at a better stocking level until she can get another tank or a larger tank to vacate it. If she goes with the 40 gallon, then she can probably fit more fishies (depending on how much is left in the 15 gallon that need to move out)
Yes, that is pretty much the situation, except I originally didn't plan on having to upgrade the glow fish tank, I didn't know that they need long swimming room. The glow fish tank was intended for my desk, and then instead on having a night table I planned on my new bigger tank being on some sort of table depending on size next to my bed..... I had even at one point in time thought about using the 15g for the glow fish after getting a larger tank. Although the lighting doesn't fit well on other tanks, but that won't seem to work either due to the fact they need long tanks?

Here's another kink in the plan, I'm moving July 31st so I had planned to purchase my new tank items within the next few weeks and set up my new tank after I move...... Well today at 4 I found out that my house may or may not be done..... That they won't know for sure if our house will be one of the ones that gets finished or not, but they can move us to a finished spot on the property - if there are still any open by that time) or pay for us to live in a hotel while we wait for our unit to be finished..... So now I'm up for an entirely new challenge in itself.... I guess on the brightside if they have to relocate us to another unit we get $400.00 for our inconvenience, if they have too be us to a hotel, we get $800.00...... :/
__________________
Skifflexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
@Skifflexie: since i have been following this thread from the beginning, allow me to chime in. with ~$300 at your disposal, i would get 40-55gal of tank for around $150 just like how i was suggesting earlier in the thread. There's no shame of coming from a low income family or how inproperly we've been keeping the fish due to the lack of knowledge, just make sure you take care of the fish when you got the chance, very much so like how you take care of the reptiles you said to have. We're in the same shoes when it comes to how our rooms are furnished, just barely anything. I think by getting a bigger fish tank, it can really take your mind off when you're stressed out or simply sit back and relax a bit. Therefore it's a good investment i would feel good about even on tight budget. Right now, i would focus on getting the fish tank you that you think is a good deal and slowly move the fish you have in the 15gal to the bigger tank. As for others who have been giving advices not related to the original intention of the thread, they're just doing you and the fish a favor, therefore please don't feel offended. Good luck with school too


ps: i have a laptop, a desk, a fish tank, and a bed in my room
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post
@Skifflexie: since i have been following this thread from the beginning, allow me to chime in. with ~$300 at your disposal, i would get 40-55gal of tank for around $150 just like how i was suggesting earlier in the thread. There's no shame of coming from a low income family or how inproperly we've been keeping the fish due to the lack of knowledge, just make sure you take care of the fish when you got the chance, very much so like how you take care of the reptiles you said to have. We're in the same shoes when it comes to how our rooms are furnished, just barely anything. I think by getting a bigger fish tank, it can really take your mind off when you're stressed out or simply sit back and relax a bit. Therefore it's a good investment i would feel good about even on tight budget. Right now, i would focus on getting the fish tank you that you think is a good deal and slowly move the fish you have in the 15gal to the bigger tank. As for others who have been giving advices not related to the original intention of the thread, they're just doing you and the fish a favor, therefore please don't feel offended. Good luck with school too


ps: i have a laptop, a desk, a fish tank, and a bed in my room
Well stated. I'm a low income student myself and that is pretty much exactly how I feel about my fish tanks. It is also a great suggestion and reason for the 55g tank as well.

A bed, 2 fish tanks, and a dresser in my bedroom
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 261
I know you want the biggest tank possible but from experience. I would go no bigger then a 29.. I too am a college student and have a 20L nano reef and let me tell ya haha moving day is not fun in the least bit.
__________________

__________________
gboduszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.