HELP!! I have aggressive neon tetras!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJLockley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We bought 7 neon tetras to go in our 50gal community tank. Aside from the neons we have 2 dwarf gourami's and an angel. The neons schooled the first day in the tank but I've noticed lately they're spread out all over and are actually avoiding each other. All 7 have torn fins and a few of them are missing scales around their gills. I've been watching them and they are heading each other all over the tank, and actually fighting. I've never seen tetras do this to each other. I figured my problem would have just been with the angel or the gourami's but they actually chill with each other very well. The neons are not attacking the larger fish either, just each other.

Plenty of hiding places and plenty of room to swim around. The behavior doesnt seem territorial or protective, just aggressive!!! I bought them all from the same tank at the LFS and they didnt seem to bother each other then... Please help! I can't stand watching them rip each other to shreds! :(

Last edited:
I've seen this happen before. When normal schooling fish don't school and openly swim throughout the tank it usually means they don't feel threatened and don't feel the need to school for protection. As for aggression any fish can get aggressive for any number of reasons and tetras are no different. Granted neons are not normally like that but other than getting more and seeing if aggression settles like it often does there isn't a lot you can do. Do you have a lot of plants or decorations in the tank or is it pretty open?

Adding a second angel can be tricky unless the original is small. Also you don't want to add a second angel that is too much larger in size than the original. Lastly depending on the how a larger angel was raised it may or may not bother the neons a lot (also depends somewhat on their size).

Adding a second angel can be tricky unless the original is small. Also you don't want to add a second angel that is too much larger in size than the original. Lastly depending on the how a larger angel was raised it may or may not bother the neons a lot (also depends somewhat on their size).

The current angel is very smaller. Definitely less than 2 inches. We were going to consider putting in a second Angel anyways but I haven't seen one in the LFSs that I was willing to pay for. :). And yes, it is relatively heavily planted (all silk). The plants reach about halfway up the tank so it's open as well.

Oh, also, they were schooled a d peaceful when I had my beta in the tank. However, the beta was showing aggression towards the flame dwarf gourami so I pulled him out and he's now sitting in his own beta bowl.

The neons will school when they feel threatened from other fish. Which is why they aren't schooling now.

The neons will school when they feel threatened from other fish. Which is why they aren't schooling now.

Ok. We turned the bubble curtain back on (it was off because it turns out I DON'T have the gang valve to control the amount and intensity of the bubbles) They have schooled up a little bit from the bubbles but now it just makes them hang out closer together and easier to find to be picked on.

I'm going to test the beta in the tank just one more time and see if he's better behaved. Especially now that it seems the flame gourami and the angel have become buddies. However, if the beta is still a punk, we're going to put him back in his bowl. We're considering a school of danios, to add.. Do you think that might help the tetras chill out?

I'm not a fan of danios as their constant high level activity can bother angels. Have you thought about 5 or 6 colorful Rainbowfish since you have a 50g? They do well with both small fish and angels and they have alittle size on them which should cause the neons to school up.

A bubbler isn't the same as a moving fish.

I'm not a fan of danios as their constant high level activity can bother angels. Have you thought about 5 or 6 colorful Rainbowfish since you have a 50g? They do well with both small fish and angels and they have alittle size on them which should cause the neons to school up.

A bubbler isn't the same as a moving fish.

I'll look into the rainbows. I slipped the beta back in for a few seconds and he scared the tetras enough to school them - I got a chance to count and I luckily still have 7. He immediately didnt like the gourami as I expected. So like I said, I'll look into the rainbows. Or see if any LFS nearby has a new shipment of angels that look healthy

Gourami's and betta's are in the same family and usually will not get along.

Honestly I would get a second angel and the rainbowfish so your tank is more active but that's just my opinion.

Gourami's and betta's are in the same family and usually will not get along.

Honestly I would get a second angel and the rainbowfish so your tank is more active but that's just my opinion.

Thanks! I really appreciate your help. I saw the thread last night about betas with gourami and it seems hit or miss... :/. I'm for sure going to add another angel. My husband things rainbows are ugly haha so he'll take some convincing but he'll survive ;)

I know it may not be the same. But what about 5-6 Mollies? How do they do with Angels? My hubby thinks rainbows are boring and we're trying to come to a compromise.

How long have they been together in your tank? I've noticed most of my schoolers fight a bit when they just go in to establish a pecking order of sorts.

How long have they been together in your tank? I've noticed most of my schoolers fight a bit when they just go in to establish a pecking order of sorts.

About 48 hours. I don't know how long they were together at the fish store. I think you might be right though, I've noticed within the last hour they've grouped up. 6 in a school and 1 sort of hanging alone for a minute. They split from time to time but mostly they are schooled. I'll keep watching them. Thanks :)

I know it may not be the same. But what about 5-6 Mollies? How do they do with Angels? My hubby thinks rainbows are boring and we're trying to come to a compromise.

I would probably only do 3 mollies since they actually get quite large and have a high bio-load. Something else to think about is if you get male and female mollies you are going to have a lot of fry to deal with although angelfish often take care of keeping fry in check as they enjoy snacking on them.

I would probably only do 3 mollies since they actually get quite large and have a high bio-load. Something else to think about is if you get male and female mollies you are going to have a lot of fry to deal with although angelfish often take care of keeping fry in check as they enjoy snacking on them.

Ok. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom