Help! I Need A Shave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talenzmeier

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings Fellow Aquarists and Aquatic Gardeners!

I have a reasonably well planted 58 gallon tank and I've got a hair algae problem. Can anyone give me an idea on how to rid my tank of it? The other water quality factors are good: NH3 = 0, NO2 =0.3, pH = 6.75, and PO4 is negligible. I'm running my lights about 10 hours per day.

i'm not sure on chemistry, but american-flag fish did the trick for me

i had the red/black hair growing on eveything in my 10 gallon, hardware, plants, even the gravel

the flagfish cleaned the hardware right quick, then the plants, and now even the gravel.

I also put some in my 30 gallon to head-off any potential problems.

i'm not sure on chemistry, but american-flag fish did the trick for me

Did you find them in your lfs or did you have to order them online? I haven't looked at my local stores much lately, but dont recall ever seeing them in my area. I'd like to try something other than SAEs.

I Have One

I have two American Flag Fish that I got from my LFS, but they don't seem particularly interested in the hair algae. Maybe the hair is too greasy. :wink:

well, put your fish on a 7 day fast, it might re-inspire them to eat the algae ... might be hard on the tank mates though the flag-fish in my 10 gallon have done so well that they're out of algae and began eating flake ... need to move them to another tank now ;)

@cc

I ordered them through my LFS ... payed about $22 for 8 of them. It was a great deal since I didn't have to pay any shipping or play games with the delivery guy.

looks like I got a good mix of males and females, need to figure out what they need for breeding now

I got a couple of SAEs in my tank and they are slowly putting a dent in the hair algae. I looked for some chemicals to take care of it, but found nothing. I prefer the natural way better anyhow.

Some plecos killed off my hair algae problem lickity split. Any species should work if you like plecos (though dwarf plecs are ultimately a better idea).

great to hear about the pleco working for you

neither pleco nor oto would touch my blackish looking hair ... but the flags love it

Another Way

Some folks might be apprehensive about this, but I found that it worked. I mixed one part bleach and twenty parts water and dipped the plants in the mixture for about three to four minutes. When the time had elapsed, I rinsed them thoroughly and then soaked them in a plain water bath with a dechlorinator added to it. I must say it worked like a charm! For fragile plants you just need to reduce the amount of time they soak in the bleach mixture.

Back
Top Bottom