Help ID unusual Petsmart buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V227

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought this little guy at petsmart today. It was greatly discounted and sold as a red Texas cichlid. Not many of those sold around here. This fish is approx. 3" long and is covered with blue markings. Just a little red on the fins. I believe it to be male judging by the pointed dorsal fin and I see the beginnings of a head hump. He looks a lot like my juvenile 1" ordinary Texas cichlid except for his extra long fins and wider tail. I put him in my 120 display tank which also houses juvenile Festae "RT" juveniles, Rivulatus and several semi aggressive African cichlids. I expected the worst, but the little guy immediately displayed an "attitude" and took on all comers, surviving with no Injuries. I do believe it's a red Texas hybrid, maybe a flowerhorn cross. I would appreciate others opinions regarding the fish being a red Texas or just a better grade of a standard Texas cichlid.

Attachments

• 20170807_194333.jpg
    20170807_194333.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 107
I think you are right. I got a better photo of his face. I'm more convinced that he is a red Texas cichlid. Thanks for your opinion.

Attachments

• 20170808_075119.jpg
    20170808_075119.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 99
I've had him for a month now. One fact I am sure of is that at least part of him is a Texas cichlid. He looks a lot like my standard Texas cichlid but has a little more bling. Research shows that the Red Texas is a hybrid crossed with either Midas / Red Devil Cichlid, Red Parrot
cichlid or even a Flower Horn. So there's no telling. I'm sure the breeders weed out the Red Texas fry with the more vivid red markings and sell them separately. Those type sell for $200 and up. The average looking ones are likey sold to PetSmart. This is what he looks like now.

Attachments

• 20170908_094857.jpg
    20170908_094857.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom