help identifiying snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I thought I was going to have to order some mts for my 10 gallon but this morning when I got up I found some snails that must have hitchhiked in on the anacharis I've put in there, since that's the only plant I have so far. They are very small and so far I haven't figured out how to take good aquarium pics with my camera. They don't have the elongated shell like the mts, it's more rounded but it still comes to a point on the back. The pattern seems to be different shades of brown spots on a brown background. Unexpected Freshwater Bucket Snails, Mollusca: Gastropoda: Lymnaea columella = Pseudosuccinea columella I think the first snail pic as you look down this page is either it or very close. I would just appreciate some help determining what kind of snail this is. I'm hoping it's not something that will eat my plants. So far the anacharis is looking good so I don't think they are causing a problem yet.

Without a pic they'll be hard for us to ID, but based on what I hear I'm going to guess they're pond snails.

They won't harm your plants and they're fine to have in your tank if that's what they are. They are, however, prolific reproducers, so if you overfeed your tank you will have an explosion of them. Not necessarily a bad thing, just many folks don't like it.

Agreed. I like snails, they're a free clean up crew and a great indicator to tell you if you're overfeeding.

Without a pic they'll be hard for us to ID, but based on what I hear I'm going to guess they're pond snails.

They won't harm your plants and they're fine to have in your tank if that's what they are. They are, however, prolific reproducers, so if you overfeed your tank you will have an explosion of them. Not necessarily a bad thing, just many folks don't like it.

Am busy cycling my tank and noticed that 3 of those snails were in the tank....a week on and Ive counted 7+, on plants, on decorations for some reason the sunken ship is the place to be as sometimes, the whole gang piles up on there.

Should I take them out before I get the fish???? Before they reproduce like crazy?

Back
Top Bottom