Help identify eel.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devdav

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi this is my eel. LPS said he is a pink lipped morey but I don't think it is. He's 24 inches long grey with brown speckles and dark grey spots.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1425118132029.jpg
    1425118132029.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 1425118160044.jpg
    1425118160044.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 113
If it's freshwater the only eel I know of that looks like that is the Anguilla rostrata

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I have him in brackish water and I found some pics on Google that look like him and say Gymnothorax tile but I'm unsure

I looked up Anguilla rostrata but that looks more like a rope fish. This guy has syphon behind his head and has a wide mouth with small pointed teeth in the middle of the roof of his mouth towards the front, the teeth outlining the jaw don't look too pointy though.

24in

Attachments

• 1425131173787.jpg
    1425131173787.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 108
I have 2, I think they're Gymnothorax Tile as well. Definitely brackish, full marine as adults. Sensitive to poor water quality.. mine eat like crazy.. Mine have become more active over the months, chilling up front and swimming around the tank.

I'm also going to guess based on his size/coloration you have an adult. Or pretty close. As juveniles they have white specks that they lose, I'm not seeing them on yours. I have one about 20" with the specks that I'll have to get a picture of.

Also, they don't have the same bite as a full saltwater Moray, but you don't want to mess with these guys either.
Luckily I haven't been bit, yet. (I don't know how long I can say that for, now that the tanks have settled from the move I have to take out all their current substrate and replace it with sand)
But I've read that along with their needle-like teeth, they carry a mild toxin. And I've seen mine open their mouths quite wide. Just watch him during your tank maintenance. And as with any eel.. they're escape artists. Don't leave any openings. They can survive a little while outside of the water, but you don't want to have to pick one up.

They have one on Craigslist listed as a freshwater moray eel. and it looks quite large in the picture. I had never heard of it before. They must need a really large tank. Doubt he would fit in my 10 gal. And I think they stated the reason to rehome him was he needed a bigger tank Alison.

75 gallons is the minimum actually. From everything I've read, and from other people that keep them have recommended when I asked around.

Yeah lindenthaler I figured the same about it being an adult. I only have him in a 30g but he has plenty of room to stretch or fully and as long as I keep up on the water I don't think the aqurium size will be to much a problem as he mostly curls up in a cave. At night he gets around the tank fine and with low light will even just chill and come right up to me. I just hope he will do fine in brackish til I can get a full marine tank setup for him

I have mine in a 30 long currently and he's doing fine, but it's pretty apparent more space would be appreciated. When he's active.. he's very active. I can't wait to get him into a 75. And just raise the salinity a little each week, that's how I do it for mine. No more than .002 a week, but that's all you have to do to give him saltwater.
Also, species only is best if you don't already have him alone.

Yeah he's alone now. But I had a green spotted puffer with him but unfortunately it died yesterday :( because the tank is still cycling, they were friends tho because the puffer would hang out with him all the time. And the eel didn't care. Altho the eel did bite him once in the confusion of feeding but spit him out asap lol since he's dam near blind lol he thought it was a shrimp my puffer was munching on lol

What do you feed yours? And how often? And how long have you had them?

If your GSP was bit shortly before that's might be what killed him, the eels have a mild toxin in their bite that probably did it. They are pretty much blind. They get spooked pretty easily at first but mine have settled in well now.
If that wasn't it.. puffers are really sensitive, especially to water quality. So that could've done it as well.
I keep Figure 8s and GSPs, different tanks of course, but I wouldn't put them in with my Morays. It seems to be a hit or miss and I'd rather not lose anyone. So they have their own tank.

Right now they get two dozen feeders each Friday in addition to shrimp and silversides.
They eat a lottt.
The only reason I haven't taken them completely off of feeders is I'm honestly worried they might starve without them or something.

Yeah I I think the gsp died due to the cycle he was undamaged from the bite and live for a week after with no ill affect. I use feeders to but he dissent like them much lol he prefers shrimp and salmon

Well I plan on getting another puffer for this tank cuz I think they will be fine with the eel. At first the eel was inquisitive about the puffer but after a few minuets lost interest. Plus the puffer can puff up bigger than his mouth if need be. And im getting a catfish to help clean the bottom of the tank

Well its a hit or miss with the Morays, you might have got one that doesn't care about tank mates. For me to consider tank mates I'd want at least a 75, although I'm leaning towards a 125 if it's not going to remain species specific.
As far as brackish catfish go there's not much to choose from, and there's only one that's common in the hobby which is the Columbian (Silver-tip) shark. It's actually a full saltwater shark as an adult, sold as FW in the stores. But they will get far too big for your tank and need to be kept in schools. I'd wait until you reach full strength saltwater and find a marine catfish. The first that comes to mind is the Coral catfish, solitary as an adult so you don't have to worry about keeping them in schools. Just make sure the salinity levels for them match first.
I'd also upgrade the tank before adding anyone else if you didn't already plan to.

As far as the feeders go, how long have you had your Moray? And how long have you left the feeders in the tank? I had mine for a few weeks with about a dozen or so feeders on the tank and he would just pick a few off here and there. Once he adjusted, and especially once I got my salinity risen, he became a lot more active and knocked the rest of them out.. pretty much over night. It's been 24/week since.

Yeah I agree on getting a bigger tank and I plan to but it seems like he don't mind having tank mates. I left the feeders in for a week till they stayed getting brown spots on there body from the salt water then I removed them since he only ate one and im around enough to feed him the fresh shrimp i get him at the grocery store. I've only had the eel for about 3 weeks but he seems healthier now that he's in my tank and not at the pet store. He had all kinds of white spots that made him look un healthy but now his color is all back and he is more active now. I just hope he can make it threw the cycle

Back
Top Bottom