help Identify fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This fish. In the pond at my work. Anyone know what it is? It has a yellow edge tail and yellow fins. A round spot on the body.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110630_222230.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110630_222230.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 142
jetajockey said:
looks like some kind of sunfish. It's hard for me to tell what exactly without a closer pic.

Yep I think your right. I googled sunfish and it looks to be a green sunfish. Very cool lookin fish. Are they carnivores?

omnivores. There are several very similar looking sunfish species, so if you plan to keep one, make sure you accurately ID it before you bring it home, and of course make sure that it's legal to do so by your local fish and wildlife people.

I've currently got a small bluegill and also dollar sunfish which both eat pretty much anything I put in the tank for them.

The bluegill will eventually make his way into the pond, but the dollars will stay in a display tank.

A few sunfish that stay relatively small are dollars and bluespotted, both max out under 4-5" or so, and make great fish for aquaria because of their size. There are some other beautiful ones like the green sunfish and pumpkinseeds but they get much larger and make stocking/keeping them much more difficult.

jetajockey said:
omnivores. There are several very similar looking sunfish species, so if you plan to keep one, make sure you accurately ID it before you bring it home, and of course make sure that it's legal to do so by your local fish and wildlife people.

I've currently got a small bluegill and also dollar sunfish which both eat pretty much anything I put in the tank for them.

The bluegill will eventually make his way into the pond, but the dollars will stay in a display tank.

A few sunfish that stay relatively small are dollars and bluespotted, both max out under 4-5" or so, and make great fish for aquaria because of their size. There are some other beautiful ones like the green sunfish and pumpkinseeds but they get much larger and make stocking/keeping them much more difficult.

Oops was carnivores the wrong word to use? I've been watching to much dinosaur stuff with my.daughter.

jetajockey said:

Oh I don't plan on taking one. My tank is way to small and full of dinner for that guy. Thanks for all the info though. I love checking them out on my breaks.

Back
Top Bottom