help identifying a fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lksdrinker

Aquarium Advice Activist
So of course I cant get a good photo right now; but will keep trying.

I recently got some fish from the local store to include what the clerk told me were 3 pearl danios. 2 of them started schooling together after about 24 hours in my tank. Their color lightened a bit (both of them equally) and they generally look great.

The remaining 1 also seems to be doing great but just physically looks different than the other 2. This one got darker and seems to avoid joining the school that the other 2 have created. Every once in a while this "loner" tries to join in with a school of harlequin rasboras in my tank. But more often than not it seems to prefer being alone. It also does some odd maneuvers in the tank. For lack of a better description I guess it does vertical figure 8s. Besides being dark it also has a much narrower body (more "torpedo" like) than the other pearl danios; and it has barbs near the mouth. I've also seen it digging around the bottom of the tank every once in a while.

I initially figured that this "loner" was a different sex than the other 2 pearl danios. But the closer I study it and see the slightly different shaped body, the coloring and the barbs, I'm wondering if it could be a different species all together? Perhaps a cat of some sort?

Any ideas?

Ok I got a couple of photos (but they're not the greatest images). As I hope everyone can see, one of these things is not like the other! Someone else I was speaking with thought it could be some type of loach (perhaps a fox something or other)?

Attachments

• IMG_4084.jpg
    IMG_4084.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4086.jpg
    IMG_4086.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4089.jpg
    IMG_4089.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4092.jpg
    IMG_4092.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 65
Ok I got a couple of photos (but they're not the greatest images). As I hope everyone can see, one of these things is not like the other! Someone else I was speaking with thought it could be some type of loach (perhaps a fox something or other)?

Those look like coldwater minows....

Back
Top Bottom