HELP!!!! JUST GOT MY FIRST BETTAS!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havolinefan1st

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK FIRST PLEASE dont YELL AT ME. PLEASE.I JUST GOT MY FIRST AQUARIUM AT THE AGE OF 38.ALWAYS WANTED 1 NEVER GOT AROUND TO IT TILL NOW.MY IGNORANCE ABOUT AQUARIUM FISH IS GREAT.SO IT STARTS WITH GETTING MY 30 GALLON TANK AND BUYING SOME FISH THAT THE PET STORE WORKER SAYS WERE GOOD COMMUNITY FISH.I ALSO PICKED OUT 1 OF THOSE lonley BETTAS ON THE SHELF.I STARTED TO PICK ANOTHER FOR MY TANK(SEE THE IGNORANCE),WHEN THE WORKER STOPPED ME AND TOLD ME NO MORE THAN 1 OR THEY MAY FIGHT.SO I GO HOME WITH MY BETTA IN HAND ,interduce IT TO THE TANK AND IT PROCEEDED TO START ATTACKING THE OTHER FISH,NOW SCARED I WENT TO FIND A WAY TO KEEP IT.I FIRST WENT TO WALMART AND SEEN THESE REAL LITTLE REAL THIN THING THAT HANGS ON A TANK.WAY TO SMALL I THOUGHT.SO AFTER LOOKING I SETTLED ON A SMALL FLOATING "TANK" CALLED A 3-WAY BREEDER MULTI PURPOSE(MED.) MADE BY LEES.IT ADVERTISES A "GREAT WAY TO DISPLAY 2 BETTAS"SO OF COURSE I GO GET A 2ND BETTA. THE TANK LOOKS NICE IN MY aqurium AND DOES KEEP BOTH FROM ONEANOTHER AND THE OTHER FISH.THE WATER IS ABLE TO CIRCULATE FREELY THROUGH SO IT GETS FRESH WATER.HOWEVER I FEEL GUILTY THESE GREAT FISH IN A CONFINED SPACE.THERE IS A WAY TO MAKE IT INTO A SINGLE FISH TANK SO MAYBE GETTING A SECOND IS THE answere.FUNDS ARE LIMITED SO, FIRST I FEEL THEY R STILL BETTER OFF THAN IN A CUP ON A SHELF,BUT SECOND FEEL MAYBE THE LEAST I CAN DO IS GET A SECOND FLOATING TANK.SO HAS ANYONE SEEN THESE TANKS I SPEAK OF?THEY REALLY SEEM NEAT BUT YALL MIGHT KNOW BETTER THAN ME....................................................................................................................WHAT DO I DO?........................................................................GARY

first, don't type in all caps ;)

how many fish are in your 30 gal? what is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH?

most people keep bettas in their own tanks [mine is in a 2 gal hex], but some put them in their community tanks.

bettas will attack fish with long fins as they see them as a threat. usually it is a good idea to keep fish either the same size, or smaller.

but do yourself a favor, get the bettas each their own tank. while they can thrive in 'little cups' it is much nicer to put them where they can swim!

i cannot offer much advice on bettas, but many other people can. i hope what little info i gave you will help.

My male beta does great in a tank with neon tetras, ghost shrimp, and a frog. You can put female betas together.

I'm not an expert on betta's either, but I bought one in college (from walmart) that had been kept in a tank with other bettas (seperated)...the bettas could still see each other, though, and were trying desperately to get after one another....unfortunately mine died within hours of having it home, even though my water parameters were fine...and when I'd returned to the store that afternoon, another betta in the tank was dead as well. I don't know if all that stress can kill a fish, but I bet it doesn't help.

If possible, I'd recommend getting a 2gallon bowl or tank to keep your 2nd betta in, just to save them from that stress.

They'll attack other fishes with fancy fins also. For example, guppies are frequently victims of the betta.

In a community tank a betta will generally go around and flare at a lot of fish to try and establish himself. Just because he is filling out his fins and flaring his gills doesn't mean he is attacking the other fish. Short of seeing him bite into a another fish, chasing around is pretty normal.

Back
Top Bottom