Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 165
Help me cover my 40b Tetra

So I not so long ago picked up a 40g tank at Petco's $1/gallon sale and all was good. I have bought lights, canister filter, heater and substrate and I am just about ready to go.

But, I cannot find a lid for it any where, it would seem there is no tetra brand lid, the Aqeon versa top is 1/8" inch too long.

Who else has bought this tank and what cover did you use?
__________________

__________________
monaro_gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaro_gto View Post
So I not so long ago picked up a 40g tank at Petco's $1/gallon sale and all was good. I have bought lights, canister filter, heater and substrate and I am just about ready to go.

But, I cannot find a lid for it any where, it would seem there is no tetra brand lid, the Aqeon versa top is 1/8" inch too long.

Who else has bought this tank and what cover did you use?
Is this a 40g breeder? The Aqueon versa tops should work since they have one specifically designed for 40g breeders..... The marineland glass canopies may have one.
__________________

__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 165
marineland might be the go, I thought they only had 2 piece for the breeder tanks but I found a one piece. It is the breeder tank but it's tetra branded and the versa top is 1/8th" too long. Found that out the hard way.
__________________
monaro_gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaro_gto View Post
marineland might be the go, I thought they only had 2 piece for the breeder tanks but I found a one piece. It is the breeder tank but it's tetra branded and the versa top is 1/8th" too long. Found that out the hard way.
Breeder 40g is definitely only 1 piece because it doesn't have a middle brace. Tanks 55g and bigger will have brace(s). So tetra tanks are a bit smaller than usual?
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaro_gto View Post
marineland might be the go, I thought they only had 2 piece for the breeder tanks but I found a one piece. It is the breeder tank but it's tetra branded and the versa top is 1/8th" too long. Found that out the hard way.
I did the exact same thing. Have been searching for a few days now and have been thinking of buying the Aqueon lid again and having it cut down the 1/8" needed. But then I found this...

Glass Aquarium Canopies Tops Lighting | Marineland
If you search the Q&A for "40 breeder" the second answer states that since Tetra and Marineland are brands of the same company the lid fits.
__________________
YSR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSR50 View Post
I did the exact same thing. Have been searching for a few days now and have been thinking of buying the Aqueon lid again and having it cut down the 1/8" needed. But then I found this...

Glass Aquarium Canopies Tops Lighting | Marineland
If you search the Q&A for "40 breeder" the second answer states that since Tetra and Marineland are brands of the same company the lid fits.
Thank you. I read on ebay from someone selling the marineland perfecto tops that the dimensions do work. It is 34 3/4 by 16 3/4. Will drop into Petland today and have them order it.
__________________
monaro_gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post
Breeder 40g is definitely only 1 piece because it doesn't have a middle brace. Tanks 55g and bigger will have brace(s). So tetra tanks are a bit smaller than usual?
It isn't the tank but the black rim on top is made a little thicker then the Aqueon 40b.
__________________
monaro_gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaro_gto View Post

It isn't the tank but the black rim on top is made a little thicker then the Aqueon 40b.
Ohhhh. A thicker brace...
At least that means a bit more secure lol.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaro_gto View Post

Thank you. I read on ebay from someone selling the marineland perfecto tops that the dimensions do work. It is 34 3/4 by 16 3/4. Will drop into Petland today and have them order it.
Sounds good . Does the marineland tips have the back part open like the versa tops? ( versa tops have the plastic removable flap ). Does marineland have that?
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 165
Pick it up tomorrow so I will take a pick.
__________________
monaro_gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaro_gto View Post
Pick it up tomorrow so I will take a pick.
Ok. Thanks. I'm deciding whether to go with Aqueon or marineland too. But if marineland doesn't have the removable back section, then I have to go with the Aqueon since all the filter hoses go through the top.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 165
Just came in today and here it is. It has the 2" plastic strip at the back.

__________________
monaro_gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaro_gto View Post
Just came in today and here it is. It has the 2" plastic strip at the back.
Oh cool! So I guess marineland is also a good choice . And is that the current USA led/led+?
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaro_gto View Post
Just came in today and here it is. It has the 2" plastic strip at the back.
What light is that?
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

What light is that?
I'm guessing maybe a Current USA LED+
Great light. Pretty cheap. Med-high light. Great for plants. Fairly high tech with many color and light movement options. I was gonna go with that but instead went with Finnex Ray2.
__________________

__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cover, help me, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.