Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Help me decide... Setting up 29 gal...

Should it be a fry/grow out tank for my African cichlids, (I've got a borleyi holding right now)? Or should I turn it into a planted community tank, and use a 10 gallon for the fry?

Decisions, decisions. The correct answer is the grow-out tank, but a little fishy keeps whispering in my ear "Planted tank, planted tank, make it a plaaaanted tank...".

Old 08-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

why dont u make it a planted grow out tank lol then u can grow out a few batches of fry while the plants get bigger then just turn it into a community tank later. lol then again we are dealing with cichlids here and they will reek havoc on your plants so thats a no go.i personally think a 10 gallon is to small for the cichlids even if they are babies. the 29 gallon would be a great grow out tank. do you plan to grow out all your future fry or just a few batches? if u only plan on keeping a few make it a holding tank for now and then turn it into your planted. it will be worth waiting for. i have also seen alot of really nice planted 10 gal. you have alot of options but i think the fry deserve alot of room to grow.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

as you said before, you know the answer . the brood is going to be 10+ probably for the first time. and if you want to really raise all the fry to 1.5" before selling them, you definitely need 10g+. also, the brood size going to increase as the female gets bigger and more experienced.

75g : Malawi
40g breeder: Planted community
29g : SA(change of plans...again)
20g : community ("given" to a friend)
tetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I already knew the answer. I just kept hearing this wet voice in my ear...

Oh well. Gives me an excuse to go buy a 55 gallon for a planted tank. (Yeah, right, get THAT by the wife after just buying a 125 gallon and all the fixin's!)
Old 08-25-2005, 11:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK, I'm sitting here at my computer, stareing at my nice new 29 gallon, all set up, waiting for water. On a metal stand, with a 20 gallon on the bottom. That wet voice is at it again...

"Plaaanted... Make it a plaaaanted tank! Those fry would be just FIIINE in that 20 gallon, make the nice new 29 gallon a plaaaaaanted tank!"

****. Whooda thunk that getting back into the fish hobby would have me hearing voices already...
Old 08-26-2005, 11:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

29g - planted tank - more money spent in 2 months...
29g - fry growout tank - more money earned in 2 months...and more in next 2 months...and more...(ok, ok, i like money, so what???)

75g : Malawi
40g breeder: Planted community
29g : SA(change of plans...again)
20g : community ("given" to a friend)
tetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with the planted grow out tank. The baby cichlids won't tare up the plants like the adult and juvis do. You never know how many fry you will have. I read online that the first batch is usually small and won't have too many survivors. My cobalt just had a batch with between 20 and 25 and they are all alive and doing beautifully. It's been 12 days and all have survived. We are in the process of converting our 29 into a grow out because they just seem too cramped in the 10. But it is ultimately up to you.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I did the 'right thing' for my 'mom-to-be' and the fry. Set up the 29 gallon for raising the fry. I'll post a pic when I get batteries for my camera. Pain in the butt to catch that little momma in a big 125 gallon tank full of rock, let me tell you! Ended up taking about 2/3 of the rock out.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel your pain 20 20. Try catching 1 cobalt in the mix of 32 fish in a 150 tall full of greenery and rocks. Now I have to try and net out 1 fish from the same tank. Ugh. Not looking forward to it.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com