Help me fill'er up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-JD-

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! First off, I just wanted to say "thank you" to everyone who posted advice on cycling. I've been out of the hobby for a while (20 years), so when I decided to jump back in, I had a lot to learn. Now, thanks to lurking this forum, I have successfully completed a fishless cycle on a 36 gal freshwater bowfront. :)

Now I need some help stocking it. I'm definitely going for a school of neons, a group of kuhlis (luv 'em), and probably a few corys, but not sure what else. Any suggestions for other good community fish? What about a centerpiece? How would you stock it? It's a live planted tank with eco complete substrate, and sure looks empty...

Thanks!

You should post some pictures! Lots of planted people here and I'm sure we all would love a peek. :)

I can't give any fw suggestions really, I only keep african cichlids as far as Fw.

You have a TON of options. I'd suggest checking out live aquaria, you tube, etc. and finding fish that you like. We can help whittle the list down for you based on what will work. As for your current plans, I'd advise to add only one school of bottom dwellers (i.e. cories OR loaches). Also, cardinal tetra are very similar looking to neons, but slightly larger (less likely to be eaten)and more hardy.

King Bettas make a great center piece in my opinions. Kuhli loaches are fun to keep and they have a ton of personality, just don't plan on keeping snails. The possibilities are endless! =]

OK, I checked on Liveaquaria per HN1's suggestion, and put together this list:

5 Kuhlis
6 Neons or Cards
5 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Male Sword
2-3 Female Swords
5 Bleeding Heart Tetras
1 German Blue Ram

That's probably overstocked, so where should I cut? Would the BGR be ok on it's on? Any other suggestions?

I'm running 2 Aquaclear 50s, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

PS: I'm currently cycling a 5 gallon planted for a betta, and a 3 gallon for shrimp. MTS before I've stocked the first one? That would be correct. :)

The two Aquaclears make a HUGE!!! difference. I don't think it's over stocked, as long as you don't add everything at once (obviously). The ram will be fine on it's own. And excellent choice on the kuhli's. =] Good luck! post some pictures!!

I'd reconsider the swords, but the ram would be fine on it's own for sure.

hatchets would also be a nice addition (instead of the swords, I'm not a huge fan of live-bearers), Great movement on the surface of the tank!

I think that would be absolutely fine, but I will make one recommendation. If it were me.... I'd skip the bleeding hearts (they get as big as 1/2 dollar) and up the number of the other tetra and harlies. Their schooling behaviors will be more pronounced in a larger group. Nice fish choices! Look for a GBR from a breeder, a lot of LFS rams tend to be weak.

gkuzel said:
hatchets would also be a nice addition (instead of the swords, I'm not a huge fan of live-bearers), Great movement on the surface of the tank!

Funny you should mention hatchets; they were on my short list! Not married to the swords, so I may go with your recommendation.

HN1 said:
I think that would be absolutely fine, but I will make one recommendation. If it were me.... I'd skip the bleeding hearts (they get as big as 1/2 dollar) and up the number of the other tetra and harlies. Their schooling behaviors will be more pronounced in a larger group. Nice fish choices! Look for a GBR from a breeder, a lot of LFS rams tend to be weak.

Good idea. Any recommendations on a GBR breeder to buy from online? I have an awesome lfs, but I don't remember seeing any last time I was there.

Also, does anyone think a rl pleco would be one too many?

Royal plecos are gorgeous, but they do get over a foot, and I guess that's something you'd have to take into consideration. I'd stick with something smaller, Say a candy striped.

gkuzel said:
Royal plecos are gorgeous, but they do get over a foot, and I guess that's something you'd have to take into consideration. I'd stick with something smaller, Say a candy striped.

Sorry, I meant Rubberlip Pleco. They don't get too large do they?

Well, they only get about ten inches, so it's more along your lines. They're very interesting plecos, they change color from brown to gold, on occasion. Good eaters too!!

Ok, final(?) list:

1 x German Blue Ram
5 x Neon OR Cardinal Tetra
5 x Kuhli Loach
5 x Harlequin Rasbora
5 x Bleeding Heart Tetra
5 x Hatchet Fish
1 x Bristlenose OR Rubberlip Pleco

What do you think? Could I/should I add a pair of GBRs?

-JD-

Your load is small enough you could definitely do a pair of rams. I say go for it!

okay.. so new to this ... just reading the thread.. can someone post a pic of these rams??? im seeing ppl talk about them everywhere ...

They're truly great. Google German blue rams.

Now, thanks to Missie's thread, I want to add Glass Cats. :) But I would definitely be overstocked if I did. I'll have to make them an alternate.

Is there a particular stocking order I should go with? I'll probably stock 1/3 weekly over the next several weeks to give the tank time to adjust to the bioload.

Back
Top Bottom