Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question Help me ID a new house guest?

Ok so I don't have a picture of this guy but I will do my best to describe.

I have never had fish before but I was given a freshwater tank and two fish by someone. They said take them or they are getting flush so I took them.

One I know is some sort or Cory, but the other I don't know, maybe a loach or reedfish?

Description:
It is thin and eel-like. About three inches long. Two sets of whiskers, one coming out of the nose area and one set under the chin. (Forgive my non-technical terms.) Originally it looked brownish, but under the light it has a green iridescence. Has a set of fins in the cheek area, a dorsal fin near the tail and the tail itself has a vertical fin. There maybe another set on the bottom of the tail. I am not sure because it is hard to get a good look. It spends most of its time hiding. When I took out everything in the tank to try and get a good look it buried into the pebbles at the bottom.

Anyone have any ideas. It is way to fast and small for me to snap a pic with my junky flip phone.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a kuhli loach

Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm... Maybe a botia or a kuhli. Hopefully you can get a picture of it when you get lucky! Try turning off the light and leaving some food for it and use a flash light if you see movement to check it out.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Found it!

Pangio anguillaris

Tags
help me

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com