Help me plan my new 32G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. New member here.

We started with a 3.5G and a 10G tank. Now addicted and adding a 32G tank to our home. Just set it up today to start cycling shortly.

We have a betta in each of our other tanks which really restricts tankmates. For this new one we really want colorful species. We like dwarf rainbows, dwarf gourami, (roseline) dennison barb, balloon ram or glow tetras.

Trying to figure out compatibility makes my head hurt. Does anyone have feedback on this?

Also, would like ideas on getting this cycling going. So far we only added the gravel, aquarium salt, Seachem Prime, and Seachem Stability. No decor added yet.

I’d appreciate all advice.

Tank dimensions: 32.5 w x 15.75 d x 15.35 h

Water:
Hardness: difficult to be accurate because the city provides a range of 205-291 ppm but most homes here have a water softener installed (as do we).

pH: 7.0

I know it's tempting to get the tank going as soon as possible, but the safest route is to just let it sit for about 6 weeks. Maybe a fish or two. I'd skip the salt, the prime, the stability, and other chemicals like that.
And I'd stick to one or two schools of fish rather than a variety of species. FIsh are happier, there's less chance of conflicts, and, I think, a dozen fish in a school are much more attractive than six species of two fish each.

I agree with rlederer. Just wait it out. What you should do now is work on a scape for the tank. Get your driftwood, rocks, plants(real or fake) and any other decorations you want to add into the tank. I also would recommend seeding your tank from your other tanks. It will speed up the cycle time.

If you seed your tank I'd definitely keep using your Seachem Prime dechlorinator so you don't kill off BB with chlorine and chloramines.

I need a plan of action for which species I’m getting so I can do the decor accordingly. I’m not in a rush, I’m just making a plan. I will add the fish slowly. But without a plan, it’s easy to get stuck with something and not be able to change things down the road.

That said, I want to optimize the # of species for compatibility, color, activity, etc. a school of one type, and a few other unique fish would be great.

I need advice on seeding from another tank - have never done that before. The filter types are different. Do I replace the existing cartridge with a new cartridge in the older tank? Can I just place the old cartridge in the filter compartment of the new one (which has a foam block with chambers for carbon and biomax)?

Back
Top Bottom