Help me with stocking and fish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imat

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 55 gallon tank. We have recently started stocking it and have not had much luck with the local fish stores giving us "good/correct" information with compatibility.

Here is what I currently have in my tank.

6 oto catfish (love these guys! )
11 neon tetras
8 black neon tetras
7 red serpae minor tetras (didn't know they were serpae and semi-aggressive when I purchased them. I could take them back but they are pretty cool and school better than any of my other fish)
2 Molly fish

Will the 2 Molly fish be ok? I think they are pretty and there is plenty of hiding (rocks and plants) in my tank.
I was thinking about getting a couple Cory catfish. Will they be compatible with the oto catfish?

What else is compatible? I would prefer not to get more tetras.
I love danios. Zebra danios especially.

Would all those be compatible? Advice needed!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well the Serpaes do school well, but they will eventually pick all the rest to shreads. Serpaes are not semi-aggressive they are flat out aggressive. The first thing to go will be the regular neons followed by the mollys. The mollys have different water requirements than the rest so you may want to rehome them. As for Danios, the Serpae Tetras will likely chase them to death. If you get rid of the Serpaes I'd suggest Celestrial Danios as their colors are unmatched by most stuff You could also

As far as corys go, they would be fine 6-8, but stick with larger corys such as paleatus. If you want something really cool, colorful and unusual get 4-6 sparkling gouramis. These are dwarfs and are not aggressive. You may also want to add 6-8 Khuli loaches half banded the otehr half black.

I'm a barb keeper, so I don't know a lot about tetras, but I'd suggest you do a tetra-only kind of thing with maybe some corydoras or other bottom dwellers if you like. I have a barb-only display with tiger barbs, panda barbs, black ruby barbs, and the only non-barbs I keep are mystery snails, sterbai corydoras, and a 8-year old featherfin catfish.
Mollies are kind of slow and I used to only keep them with other live bearers or similar fish like guppies and gourami.
Basically if the fish you have are similar you should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom