help me with tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave2010

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have a 180litre aquarium, I had a royal pleco a platty and a loach and today I got three mollys and two pear gourmai the tank seems pretty bare still, what other fish would be suitible to go with all the fish I have at the moment? And how many fish would it be ok to keep in a 180litre tank. Thanks

numbers and things really depend on what type of fish as every fish is different.

What type of loach is it? They are shoaling fish and should have more than 1, at least 4 is usually a good target, more if possible but depending on what type of loach you have you may or may not have room

Also by pear gourami I'm guessing you mean pearl? Just a typo?

I also think you need to think about rehoming your pleco. I do believe the royal pleco gets to be about 16 inches long. It is not suitable at all for your tank long term.

The loach is a kuhli loach, not sure if that's spelt right, I've had him for over a year and I bought him with another kuhli loach but he seemed to have either ate him or the other one just vanished! Would I need to buy more of the loaches?. Yea the gourmai is a pearl. The royal pleco is tiny at the moment and I knew I would eventually need a much larger aquarium for him he's my favourite fish and before he gets to big for my aquarium I'll have a much larger one, he seems to be quite shy and spends mostly all day in his cave and only comes out when the lights are out to eat cucumber or lettuce, is there anything I could do to make him less shy? I feed him algae wafers too but I put them into his cave so he gets to eat them without any other fish getting at them first. I was going to buy another baby pleco but I read that they fight and I don't want my royal pleco to get hurt, I want any colourfull fish that will get along and not fight with the fish I have. Thanks for your help

It wouldn't hurt to get a few more kuhli loaches, they would prefer to be in a school. As for bright fish look into tetras or rasboras. Something like a school of cardinal or rummy nose tetras would brighten your tank up. In fact a school of mid level swimmers will actually make you tank appear less bare and give alot of movement to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom