Help missing fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rainbow killed the fish and the plecos ate the remains. Thats just my thought though

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Rainbow killed the fish and the plecos ate the remains. Thats just my thought though

The angel went missing before the Rainbow was in the tank though because we introduced the angel after our first rainbow died then we waited till the angel settled in for a week or so then when we went to the pet store on a friday i believe 3-4 weeks ago we got the second rainbow shark and when we got home the angel was no where to be found we did a search under all the decorations, on the floor everywhere in the room we keep the tank, and we even sifted through the gravel we had so idk what else could have caused a 3 inch female clown loach and an angel fish the size of a nickel to go missing because the angel went missing first when we didn't have a rainbow shark and then the clown loach and the went missing a week before the rainbow shark was bought. But the clown loach we only saw in the tank for a day before it went missing for good.

would there have been any remains left over of these fish they ate because i can't even find any remains of the fishes that are gone?

If the pleco did it probably not

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If the pleco did it probably not

Is there any way to know which one did it? because my common pleco is usually stuck to the glass and isn't very active unless its moving over on the glass and my clown pleco is usually swimming around on the sand going in and out of the boat, plants, and rocks.

My guess would be the pleco. I had a golden guarmi in my tank who died and when I was fishing him out of the tank I found a hole in his belly and all his insides were eaten. The only other fish I have are guarmis and while they may have been the original culprit in weakening or bullying (though he was the tank boss, so seems strange) there are no other fish big enough to do that (I have dwarf cories as the only other bottom dwellers to the pleco). Also, the hole was suspiciously the size of my pleco's mouth. :(. My pleco is also very peaceful and never seems to chase after the other fish. So probably a case of survival of the fittest. He is probably the one who made my two nickle sized angels disappear. No remains for them either.

My guess would be the pleco. I had a golden guarmi in my tank who died and when I was fishing him out of the tank I found a hole in his belly and all his insides were eaten. The only other fish I have are guarmis and while they may have been the original culprit in weakening or bullying (though he was the tank boss, so seems strange) there are no other fish big enough to do that (I have dwarf cories as the only other bottom dwellers to the pleco). Also, the hole was suspiciously the size of my pleco's mouth. :(. My pleco is also very peaceful and never seems to chase after the other fish. So probably a case of survival of the fittest. He is probably the one who made my two nickle sized angels disappear. No remains for them either.

sorry for your loss :( it just bothers me that i didn't really get to see my angel or clown loach interact with the other fish. And when my other fish die they seem to always have a hole suspiciously appear near the head and stomach area:

1) glass cat fish- hole in the stomach/neck area + turned from see through to white

2) angel fish- gone

3) clown loach- gone

4) 1st rainbow shark- head missing

5) dwarf puffer missing both eyes and brain

6) 4 neon tetras- eyes, heads, tails, and fins missing

I'm starting to see a trend here ever since i got the clown pleco and common pleco...

I've been out of the hobby for a while. What in the heck is a dwarf angel? The only ones I know of are saltwater fish. The first thing I'd do if a fish retailer tried to sell me one is research it on the net when I heard a claim of an angel not getting bigger than a nickel.

But that's besides the point. Filter or floor are the most likely hiding areas. Otherwise it died, and everyone had a meal. When fish die, they're dinner in short order. The spots you described in a post on page three are pretty much the common spots fish go for on dead fish. Make sure your water's in good shape, then start watching your fish in case you've got a psycho fish bent on killing others (which I kinda doubt). Good luck.

Alien abduction? I actually really don't know, but if I had to say something I would guess the shark or the pleco.

Nils

Alien abduction? I actually really don't know, but if I had to say something I would guess the shark or the pleco.

Nils

It isn't a CAE right?

I've been out of the hobby for a while. What in the heck is a dwarf angel? The only ones I know of are saltwater fish. The first thing I'd do if a fish retailer tried to sell me one is research it on the net when I heard a claim of an angel not getting bigger than a nickel.

But that's besides the point. Filter or floor are the most likely hiding areas. Otherwise it died, and everyone had a meal. When fish die, they're dinner in short order. The spots you described in a post on page three are pretty much the common spots fish go for on dead fish. Make sure your water's in good shape, then start watching your fish in case you've got a psycho fish bent on killing others (which I kinda doubt). Good luck.

the angel was a fresh water fish and i've checked everywhere multiple times and i really think it was my clown pleco now when a fish sinks to the bottom the clown pleco swims towards them. And I've checked my water its clean and up to the range of temperature they need.

what do you mean you 'checked' your water and it's clean?

What are your water parameters? How are you testing?

If you're losing that many fish then there are bigger issues than just missing fish.

You didn't have a dwarf angel, you had a baby angel who was currently the size of a nickel or less. Angel probably was bullied by something else pissed off that yet another fish is invading it's already tiny territory.

With just the oto, 2 plecos, and angel you have already doubled the suggested stocking level for that tank.

Suggest you and the gf stop adding fish to this small tank and do some learning. Find homes for the big fish that need them (Angel, Pleco), find the right schools for the fish that need them (Tetra, Cory) and start over.

If you're losing that many fish then there are bigger issues than just missing fish.

You didn't have a dwarf angel, you had a baby angel who was currently the size of a nickel or less. Angel probably was bullied by something else pissed off that yet another fish is invading it's already tiny territory.

With just the oto, 2 plecos, and angel you have already doubled the suggested stocking level for that tank.

Suggest you and the gf stop adding fish to this small tank and do some learning. Find homes for the big fish that need them (Angel, Pleco), find the right schools for the fish that need them (Tetra, Cory) and start over.

I'd have to agree 100% here. If I could agree more, I would. Especially the last paragraph. Another thing to consider with many fish is "temporary" is a really bad term that's quite often misused. When properly cared for, fish CAN and WILL grow at alarming rates. Compatibility is another issue, but that's because of improper stocking. Both over and group amounts. I agree learning is the key for you now. As well to take all of those back that don't fit or aren't grouped as recommended.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

We had her godfather give us api test strips and then he gave us the plecos and the oto and the angel as a gift when we started the tank. we haven't added many fish.

Nitrate: 3.0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia:5.0
PWC: 25-50%
Water temp: 73 degrees

Well, now we know what killed them. For starters, toss the strips. Secondly start doing some massive daily WC's. The problem is ammonia. It's deadly. VERY DEADLY !!! How long has the tank been setup and running ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Exactly...

Start with AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor and use that as your base guideline as youre going to need to take steps to repair the quality of life in your tank. Answering the above question and getting an accurating testing method (API liquid test) is paramount.

lol, and FYI, her godfather didn't 'gift' you the pleco's, he 'dumped' the common on you both. That fish will get to 18 inches very quickly.

But seriously, you need to invest some time into learning why ammonia (and other) levels can be toxic to your fish. Otherwise you'll never fully understand the advice you'll get here.

Exactly...

Start with AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor and use that as your base guideline as youre going to need to take steps to repair the quality of life in your tank. Answering the above question and getting an accurating testing method (API liquid test) is paramount.

lol, and FYI, her godfather didn't 'gift' you the pleco's, he 'dumped' the common on you both. That fish will get to 18 inches very quickly.

But seriously, you need to invest some time into learning why ammonia (and other) levels can be toxic to your fish. Otherwise you'll never fully understand the advice you'll get here.

we tried selling it to our lfs and they said they can't buy it from us. the tank is temporary housing until we get a bigger tank.

we tried selling it to our lfs and they said they can't buy it from us. the tank is temporary housing until we get a bigger tank.

They won't because most people don't have the aquarium space large enough to home it properly. LFS sell them all the time to unsuspecting buyers without telling them how large it becomes at adulthood. There are tons of posts on craigslist dealing with the aftermath of not enough space for a pleco.

But another reason they may not take it (and for good reason) are your tank parameters. Your fish are likely not healthy (thus the deaths) due to the stress of living in your tank conditions. The stress lowers their immune system which makes them more susceptible to disease.

Your current fish may be have adapted to the current conditions but aren't likely to survive unless you rehab the tank.

They won't because most people don't have the aquarium space large enough to home it properly. LFS sell them all the time to unsuspecting buyers without telling them how large it becomes at adulthood. There are tons of posts on craigslist dealing with the aftermath of not enough space for a pleco.

But another reason they may not take it (and for good reason) are your tank parameters. Your fish are likely not healthy (thus the deaths) due to the stress of living in your tank conditions. The stress lowers their immune system which makes them more susceptible to disease.

Your current fish may be have adapted to the current conditions but aren't likely to survive unless you rehab the tank.

100% agree. Get going on the water changes quick! I'm surprised things are still alive at 5.0ppm ammonia...

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

100% agree. Get going on the water changes quick! I'm surprised things are still alive at 5.0ppm ammonia...

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

caleb we did many water changes and ammonia is now down to 0 and the nitrites are now 4 and nitrates are at a all time low 2

Back
Top Bottom