Help! Multitude of problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carbon is for removing odors and meds from your water. If you have plenty of bio media you can scrape the filter sponge. When you do the water change take it down far enough so that the fish barely stay upright. Don't forget to add your prime or whatever tap water conditioner you are using.

As I said remove the carbon and use the ammo chips for now. I would not really use the sponge since you'll have plenty of BB in the ceramic bio media.

Mmk thanks you guys! I've got it now. New sponge, old ceramic, ammo chips.
Now I'm going to do a partial water change, I'll do a big one when I fix the filter. Does this sound like a good idea?

Sounds good and keep doing WC's till you get the readings down to the levels I gave.

At this point I don't think that the ammo rocks can hurt. The sponge itself while it may have bb in it may also have materials causing the ammo to rise. With the next cartridge just make sure to take new one out when you do your water changes and shake it and tap it on the side to get the yuck out of it. They will last longer that way. I use those cartridges for like 6 months or more doing that.

Water is already looking better :) once again, thanks guys. I'm gonna wait another hour, change water one more time. Then do a whole new test. I'll post the results.

I may also try to aquire a smaller aquarium so I can split some of these guys up... Or a larger one to rehome everyone into.

If you have not repaired that filter yet, you can use crazy glue on them. It's water and fish safe once dry, which is quick. You can put a bead of silicone over the seam, inside and out, as insurance against leaking.

I am not familiar with that filter but where is it leaking from? If it is coming from the impeller motor it could be the O ring is cracked. You can replace those at your local hardware store.

I am not familiar with that filter but where is it leaking from? If it is coming from the impeller motor it could be the O ring is cracked. You can replace those at your local hardware store.

It's leaking from the seam.. It's very slow but steady. Like I said up in the thread (I think) it's something like 2-5 gallons per day or two. I didn't get a chance to go out today, still having to deal with other stuff here at the house. Right now I just have a pot under it.

How did everything turn out? new test results?

New test results:
PH: up to 6.8
Ammonia: way down to .50 ppm
Nitrite: still 0
Nitrate: still between 80-160 but it's less red today than it was last night. So closer to 80.

Suggestions anyone?
Ammo chips are undoubtedly responsible for the much lower ammonia. No smell today either. Water is much more clear. I'm still somewhat new to these parameter tests. How do I lower my nitrates?
By the way, I am looking on Craigslist for a larger aquarium to move everyone into or a smaller one to separate some of them into. I found a 75 gallon with no stand (may be a problem for me) but it's cheap & looks nice. No top either though, just a DIY light fixture that covers about half of it.

Just keep up on WC's and the nitrates will eventually go down. Just having the nasty sponge out of there can have made a big difference.

Just keep up on WC's and the nitrates will eventually go down. Just having the nasty sponge out of there can have made a big difference.

I've done two 10% WC's today since the test. I'm officially out of conditioner. I'll have to pick some up tomorrow. I've also ran the net through the water catching some debris when I did the changes. I really need to clean the gravel :/ one step at a time though.. My little cory cat will have to pick up the slack that I can't in the mean time. I've noticed my barb tries to help too.

Back
Top Bottom