Help! My 12 inch koi fish has 5inch cory emerald catfish stuck in mouth!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diana koi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I morning I noticed My 12inch koi fish has a 5inch emerald corycat fish stuck in mouth,
It's tail has been sticking out for the passed 3 hours or more
Many all night.
I held the koi and tried to pull the Cory out but it's lodged into the koi's mouth, I don't know what to do?!
Let the koi let it pass it through
Or try one more time. I'm concern that the Cory's gills may be stucked into the koi's throat. Any suggestions of what should I do?? Please thanx

You may have to take some hemostats and scissors, and more or less cut the Cory out if it can't finish swallowing. You'll run the risk of losing both fish any way around it.

Diana,
A very long time ago I had a 4 or 5 inch black kio eat a 1 and a half inch pleco , it swam around with it in its mouth for quite awhile ,it lived for at least a year before I gave it to fish store who schooled me on keeping Koi in a 55.
If your brave you may want to fallow hensleyiks advice,or let it ride it's self out.
So sorry to hear about this,live and learn my dear sister.

Cories have back spines and they're probably lodged in the koi's throat. Why do you have koi with cories in the first place?

Sorry to tell you but the koi is as good as dead. Corydoras has spines that contain toxin in them. Kill the koi to save the Cory or at least save it the misery as the toxin kills them slowly and painfully. Not to scare you of corys as its not fatal to us but to other fish it is

Keep calm and drum on

Im not trying to spark an argument, or attempt to disprove that, but out of a school of 5 emerald Cory's, my big tinfoil barb ate 4 of them and wasn't fazed.

I think it's only certain ones. I know my peppered ones do as I've been stung and it hurts a bit

Keep calm and drum on

Im not trying to spark an argument, or attempt to disprove that, but out of a school of 5 emerald Cory's, my big tinfoil barb ate 4 of them and wasn't fazed.

No, it's actually true. I think it varies from species to species, and its effect also may vary from fish to fish. But here's some actual scientific literature documenting it:
Auxiliary Glands in Corydoras Aeneus

No, it's actually true. I think it varies from species to species, and its effect also may vary from fish to fish. But here's some actual scientific literature documenting it:
Auxiliary gland in Corydoras aeneus

Dead link ^^^^

Is it a guaranteed poisoning or is it a defense mechanism that they release voluntarily? I seen the barb suck one down, and the others were gone the next morning. Never seen any ill effects from it

Either way the koi is probably suffering. If the Cory is facing towards the Kois mouth tank some needle nose pliers and very gently pull the Cory out. If it's not try some thin wire cutters to snip the tips if the corys fins to dislodge him and gently pull him out and place him in a healing tank. Really hope it's the first one.

Keep calm and drum on

Dead link ^^^^

Is it a guaranteed poisoning or is it a defense mechanism that they release voluntarily? I seen the barb suck one down, and the others were gone the next morning. Never seen any ill effects from it

I think it's something that has to be triggered by the spine piercing something and rupturing the gland. Kinda like how stonefish toxin works.

Ok, can't get a good link. Just search Google Scholar for the citation below and it should pop up

Greven, Hartmut, Tim Flasbeck, and Dieter Passia. "Axillary glands in the armoured catfish Corydoras aeneus (Callichthyidae, Siluriformes)." Verh. Ges. Ichthyol 6 (2006): 65-69.

Back
Top Bottom