Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

help! my brother wants to put a betta or harlequin rasbora in a 1 gallon tank! ideas?

My brother still relies on petsmart for information, and he just got a new tank (one gallon) and I told him he could only put a shrimp or snail in there, and he said "your an idiot. I can put a betta in there. They're meant to live in bowls, and this is bigger than a bowl!" He wont listen to my attempts to talk him out of it. What should I tell him?

maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd show him a thread about bettas needing bigger than 1 gallon.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
My brother still relies on petsmart for information, and he just got a new tank (one gallon) and I told him he could only put a shrimp or snail in there, and he said "your an idiot. I can put a betta in there. They're meant to live in bowls, and this is bigger than a bowl!" He wont listen to my attempts to talk him out of it. What should I tell him?
Let him do it. The fish will be fine.

https://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper26
I'd show him a thread about bettas needing bigger than 1 gallon.
Ok, I will, but what about a him thinking its ok to add a harlequin rasbora?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by black hills tj

Let him do it. The fish will be fine.
But its mean and cruel and makes me angry... it disgusts me
Old 10-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yes it is true that a betta needs a bigger tank but I have seen them in worst conditions living ok. I have a betta in a 1.5 and it is fine but a bigger tank is always better
Old 10-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok. So it isn't the end of the world. got it. The issue is, the betta he had in a different one gallon decided to immigrate to my ten gallon (that was a joke). I don't have any better spots to put the betta if he does do it. So the betta will be fine? (I guess it just wont be happy)?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Quote:
Ok. So it isn't the end of the world. got it. The issue is, the betta he had in a different one gallon decided to immigrate to my ten gallon (that was a joke). I don't have any better spots to put the betta if he does do it. So the betta will be fine? (I guess it just wont be happy)?

How many bettas have you heard of dying because they were in 1 gallon "tanks?" 99% of bettas are kept in vases or bowls. A 1 gallon "tank" is probably 10x bigger than what most bettas live in.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

How many bettas have you heard of dying because they were in 1 gallon "tanks?" 99% of bettas are kept in vases or bowls. A 1 gallon "tank" is probably 10x bigger than what most bettas live in.
ok... but wouldn't a shrimp be better in a one gallon tank?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
ok... but wouldn't a shrimp be better in a one gallon tank?
Not if that's not what he wants. If he doesn't want a shrimp in the tank, he isn't going to pay attention to it or take care of it. However, if he wants to place a betta in there, he is more likely to show interest in taking care of the tank.

What is going to be healthier and/or happier...a betta that gets fed well, is taken care of, and always has a clean(even if its a little small) tank or a shrimp in a huge tank that doesn't get fed and lives in lousy water?

Old 10-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

Ah.... Many! And yes a 1g tank IS better than a cup/bowl/vase, but a 2.5g or a 5g or even 10g is way better for quality of life. Just because a betta can survive in a vase doesn't mean it is thriving!
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
Ah.... Many! And yes a 1g tank IS better than a cup/bowl/vase, but a 2.5g or a 5g or even 10g is way better for quality of life. Just because a betta can survive in a vase doesn't mean it is thriving!
I've bred bettas in a gallon of water...is that considered "thriving?"

Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I've bred bettas in a gallon of water...is that considered "thriving?"
No........
Old 10-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper26 View Post
No........
They must not be in too rough of shape if they are healthy enough to spawn. They wouldn't spawn if the conditions weren't what they considered "adequate"

Old 10-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

They must not be in too rough of shape if they are healthy enough to spawn. They wouldn't spawn if the conditions weren't what they considered "adequate"
Adequate isn't thriving.

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 5 gallons for a Berta that's my opinion.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

My sister kept 5 platys in a 2.5g and they still had babies. She also had a betta in a wine glass and he still made bubble nests. Adequate enough to breed but not live a happy, healthy, long life.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

My bad...I forgot that my fish happiness meter broke the other day. I'll have to get on replacing that ASAP

Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
My bad...I forgot that my fish happiness meter broke the other day. I'll have to get on replacing that ASAP
Hahahaha. Well it's all personal opinion when it really comes down to it, isn't it.

Tags
betta, harlequin, harlequin rasbora, rasbora, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com