Help my tank please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could someone help me please!! I have a 30 Gallon freshwater tank that is well established. The tank has 20 lbs of eco complete soil and 10 lbs of gravel. It has one amazon sword and a aquaclear 70 Hob along with a 300 w heater. There are mollies, tetras, dwarf gourmis, 2 male bettas (they don't fight at all), guppies, and corydoras. The nitrates and nitrile are 0 and the ammonia is less than .25 ppm. I do 2 20% water changes per week and clean the filter regularly. I also add heavy amounts of seachem pristine, stability, flourish, flourish excel, prime. Despite this the water is really cloudy and gross. Help!!

You likely have an algae bloom, usually not harmful to the inhabitants. The problem is likely to take care of itself in a week or two as long as you continue regular weekly maintenance. Only squeeze out your A.C. filter sponge once every 2 or 3 weeks and of course only in used tank water. If you are over cleaning the filter a water imbalace or even a mini cycle can occur which can aggravate the cloudy water situation. Maybe a little less light until things straighten out. As a last resort, install a UV sterilizer. Recently many AA members have been reporting good results clearing water with UV light. Hope this helps.

In addition to the previous post, simply add more plants. If you have only one Amazon Sword, and you are dosing all of those fertilizers for just that one plant with the fish bioload, then you'll get an over abundance of nutrients and wastes. That, in turn, has created an algae bloom.

In addition to the previous post, simply add more plants. If you have only one Amazon Sword, and you are dosing all of those fertilizers for just that one plant with the fish bioload, then you'll get an over abundance of nutrients and wastes. That, in turn, has created an algae bloom.

Thanks!

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom