Help my whole tank is covered with green stuff!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

munoza

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm kidding my whole tank is not covered in green, but I do have an algea problem. It's a very acute problem, but I want to be one step ahead. I have been placing my blinds downward; therfore, sunlight his been reaching the tank for the last few weeks. I have corrected that problem so no sunlight will make things worse. I have what they call "Green Algea Spots" on one side of my tank. I noticed it is starting to spread further in the last week. I need ideas from fellow hobbiest for a solution to get rid of the problem. Thanks.

Algae Problems

I'm kidding my whole tank is not covered in green, but I do have an algea problem. It's a very acute problem, but I want to be one step ahead. I have been placing my blinds downward; therfore, sunlight his been reaching the tank for the last few weeks. I have corrected that problem so no sunlight will make things worse. I have what they call "Green Algea Spots" on one side of my tank. I noticed it is starting to spread further in the last week. I need ideas from fellow hobbiest for a solution to get rid of the problem. Thanks.

Hello mun...

Algae is the sign of a healthy tank and a good addition to your fishes' diet. I wouldn't fret over it. Start by scraping it off the front, so you can see your fish. I don't like messing with the lights on the tank to control algae, especially if you have a lot of plants. You'll have better luck taking away its food source. Unless you're raising fry, don't feed but a small variety twice a week. Aquarium fish are generally small and don't need much food. Most tank keepers feed too much, so algae thrives in the nutrient rich water. Add some floating plants. Common water weed, Duckweed, Hornwort and Pennywort will reduce the nutrients and give the tank a natural look. The water weed also gives off a mild chemical that slows the growth of most kinds of algae.

Keep up on the water changes, remove and replace half the tank water every week. You don't have to jump through hoops to deal with algae. Keep up with routine tank maintenance and don't feed too much. Over time, the algae will settle down to a reasonable level.

B

Green spots algae is sign of good parameters balance. Remove it with the rough side of a sponge, if you have glass aquarium you can remove it with razor blade.

Go for no more than 6-8 hrs/day lighting.

Green spots algae is sign of good parameters balance. Remove it with the rough side of a sponge, if you have glass aquarium you can remove it with razor blade. Go for no more than 6-8 hrs/day lighting.
Not a dish/kitchen sponge though.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390003941.694821.jpg

Is there anything I can do to stop the green algae from growing on the side of the glass?? I scrape it weekly with the magnetic scrubber, and sometimes with a razor blade. I even siphon the water as I scrape to get the majority of it picked up.
It's a fairly heavily planted tank dosed with iron, excel, trace, potassium, and flourish. T5 lighting 48w 650nm and 6000k over 20 Gal. 7 hours light / day in a room with some indirect sun.

Checked my parameters today. 6.8ph. 0 Ammonia. 0 Nitrite. 30ppm Nitrate.

7 - 10 days 25% water change.

It's a losing battle! Any ideas??

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390005571.748329.jpg
Nitrite snails don't do jack. Nor does the Siamese algae eater.

I also have black algae on my Anubias Nana. Id love to lose that too. But priority 1 is the green fuzz on my glass.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390006240.902668.jpg

Water changes and turn your lights off. You can put a towel or something over the tank so no natural light gets in

Reducing the number of hours your light is on will be the best way to control algae growth in the tank.

Is there anything I can do to stop the green algae from growing on the side of the glass?? I scrape it weekly with the magnetic scrubber, and sometimes with a razor blade. I even siphon the water as I scrape to get the majority of it picked up.
It's a fairly heavily planted tank dosed with iron, excel, trace, potassium, and flourish. T5 lighting 48w 650nm and 6000k over 20 Gal. 7 hours light / day in a room with some indirect sun.

Checked my parameters today. 6.8ph. 0 Ammonia. 0 Nitrite. 30ppm Nitrate.

7 - 10 days 25% water change.

It's a losing battle! Any ideas??

Nitrite snails don't do jack. Nor does the Siamese algae eater.

I also have black algae on my Anubias Nana. Id love to lose that too. But priority 1 is the green fuzz on my glass.

Your's is likely from a different problem than the OP. Could you copy and paste that post into a new thread so we don't pull this one off in a different direction.

Back
Top Bottom