Help Need In Getting Tank In Line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just realized how small your tank was... Tbh easiest way to get rid of your diatoms would be to do your water changes with distilled or ro water. The diatoms will start to use up the silicates in your water and die off. Would cost less than a dollar each water change because of how many gallons you have. A full size oto is really too small for a 5 gallon tank imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Doing a water change with RO water is a good way to kill your fish. I did it once when I did not know better. Within 24 hours they may be all dead if you do too big or a percent. RO water does not have the stable Ph or buffer that tap water does. I strongly advise against this.

Doing a water change with RO water is a good way to kill your fish. I did it once when I did not know better. Within 24 hours they may be all dead if you do too big or a percent. RO water does not have the stable Ph or buffer that tap water does. I strongly advise against this.

I would have to agree. You can switch to RO, but do it gradually.

Caleb

I would have to agree. You can switch to RO, but do it gradually.

Caleb

Ummm... I hope you mean to switch to Ro water with a buffer and minerals added? If someone tried to keep any fish in pure RO water I am pretty sure they would all die. PH of water is very unstable close to 7.0. In theory that's what RO water is. Pure water.

Ummm... I hope you mean to switch to Ro water with a buffer and minerals added? If someone tried to keep any fish in pure RO water I am pretty sure they would all die. PH of water is very unstable close to 7.0. In theory that's what RO water is. Pure water.

You can re add minerals if needed. From my understanding RO is just water. Salty guys including myself ur solely RO in our tanks.

Caleb

You can re add minerals if needed. From my understanding RO is just water. Salty guys including myself ur solely RO in our tanks.

Caleb

I am a salty guy too and I use RO DI for that. What perhaps you did not realize is that your salt mix has more then salt. It has Carbonate and Bicarbonate which buffer the PH. As well as Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, Sulfate, and a whole mess of trace elements. Your RO water is no longer RO water but now sea water. We use RO water because it is like starting with a blank piece of paper and adding your list of things. If everyone started with different tap water...The salt manufacturer could not design a salt that would work out exactly the same for everyone. Trust me if you try to keep any fish in pure RO water it will die, you need to add a buffer, salt mix with a buffer in it, something.

I am a salty guy too and I use RO DI for that. What perhaps you did not realize is that your salt mix has more then salt. It has Carbonate and Bicarbonate which buffer the PH. As well as Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, Sulfate, and a whole mess of trace elements. Your RO water is no longer RO water but now sea water. We use RO water because it is like starting with a blank piece of paper and adding your list of things. If everyone started with different tap water...The salt manufacturer could not design a salt that would work out exactly the same for everyone. Trust me if you try to keep any fish in pure RO water it will die, you need to add a buffer, salt mix with a buffer in it, something.

Thank you for that clarification. I learned something today ??

Caleb

BAh.. Chloride...I forgot to say Chloride. More of that then anything LOL

'Tis true!

Caleb

Yes sorry for not clarifying, a trace buffer is required. I would suggest seachem equilibrium. About $6 will last a very long time on your system. You will need a very small measurement device as you will need about 25 milligrams per half gallon. A 10 milligram spoon is like $2.

Tap + Prime. All you need and sooo much easier.

Would agree for creating a certain ph and alkalinity but to eliminate diatoms the addition of the tap water would put the silicates back into the water.

Would agree for creating a certain ph and alkalinity but to eliminate diatoms the addition of the tap water would put the silicates back into the water.

Diatoms are normal and go away on their own.
Guess I just don't know why you'd bother with getting/making RO water and adding to it rather than simply using tap. Diatoms really aren't an ongoing issue using tap.

Back
Top Bottom