HELP new 10 gallon and re stocking a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FiiishGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI I was looking for advise on what to put in my new fully cycled 10 gallon and my planted 20 gallon that only has a really lonely german blue ram and 3 cory cats :[

was planning on putting a couple angel fish in 20 gallon but not sure.

Both have been tested for ammonia PH nitrate nitrite etc.

Any Advise Taken Gratefully

Last edited:
Is the 20 gallon long or tall? I think angelfish get too big and active for a 20 gallon tank. You might consider adding a few more cories and maybe a school of some dwarf rainbows (like threadfin rainbows) or smaller tetras like neons, or a school of harlequen rasboras.

What have you considered for the 10 gallon? Also how did you cycle your tanks? What are your most recent levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is a 20 gallon tall and my ammonia is close to 0 but i don't know the nitrate and nitrite, it was a test strip that was color coded so the color meant good. i should have gotten a more informational test strip. I was told by my LFS that angels would work but was not sure. the 10 gallon was running for 4 days with some of my old tanks water with some beneficial bacteria supplement already in it to kickstart the bacteria

I haven't put much thought into the 10 gallon. I was thinking of some making it a, well actually I don't know what to put in it.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

Here are a few articles to get you started your tank isnt considered completely cycled until your ammonia and nitrite levels are consistently at zero and you see a steady increase in nitrates (unless you have plants consuming nitrates).

So first of all the 20 is not done cycling so I would not suggest adding any more fish until the cycle is completed.

Also seeded media in the 10 gallon isnt going to help without an ammoia source. So you could either get a couple of fish and do a fish in cycle or you could get a pure ammonia source and do a fishless cycle.

Thank you, but the question remains what should i put in the tanks.

Also my 20 gallon has been running for a year and 2 months in which I have had many fish and have had put in beneficial bacteria supplements

What breeding fish could I place in the 10 gallon.

It is a 20 gallon tall and my ammonia is close to 0 but i don't know the nitrate and nitrite, it was a test strip that was color coded so the color meant good.

Any amount of ammonia or nitrite is toxic, there are no safe levels. You indicates the tank has been running for a couple of years so any amounts of detectable ammonia or nitrite indicates a serious issue. How frequently are you doing water changes and how much?

Im hesitant to reccomend fish if your current tank isn't handling the biolaod well.

The test trips are notoriously inaccurate and I would recommend you invest in a liquid reagent test.

I have been doing changes every 2 weeks and I used some amnonia remover during the 20 gallon water change currently all of my fish are doing well, which means all ordinary behavior but I am planning on going to my LFS to have it tested if all goes well I plan on getting some fish. This weekend( still not sure what to get)

If you want a breeding fish for your ten gallon small livebearers would be the best. You could get a small group of guppies (around 5) or endlers (around 8 as their smaller).
As for the twenty gallon, I would get a mate for your ram and up the cory school to at least six, and then possibly add a school of some tetra, rasbora, or danio.

could i possibly add a couple angels?
I went to my LFS and was given good news, 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia

also could i keep a breeding pair of some kind[ not live bearer] In the 10 gallon, like a swordtail or something else.

angels and a female ram for my Heavily Planted 20 gallon tall

2-3 swordtails 4 neons and 3 cory cats for my moderately planted 10 gallon Halfmoon

just added some dwarf hair grass to both tanks

How does that sound

Well swordtails are livebearers. I suppose that you could have 3 but that would pretty much fully stock the tank on its own as they grow rather large and have a heavy bioload. You could have 2 with the school of cories + tetras but that will also slightly overstock you and livebearers are aggressive to mates. This means there should be a 1:3 male to female ratio otherwise your male will continually haress the female. A smaller species like guppy and endler would be more suitable even platy but they will be almost as limited as the swordtails with the other stock.

For the 20 gal angelfish will definitely be possible since its a tall and will give growing room. But I have never cared for angels as I believed I never had a large enough tank (largest 20 gal long) so I can't give you much detailed information. I believe most would tell you to upgrade in the future for angels though.

Back
Top Bottom