Help!! Newbie here!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emlindsey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

I setting up my first 50 gallon tank here. Before I get everything, I want to know what fish to get? I'm not sure what to put in there. I was debating between betta or mollies, but i thought 50 gallon might be too big for betta. What can live with mollies? Guppies?

Please let me know! And how many of each could live peacefully with eachother? Sorry for the stupid questions..:(

50 gallons is pretty decent size, you could put quite a few mollies or guppies. The thing is both have live babies so unless you have some bigger fish as a centerpiece that will snack on the babies they will eventually over crowd and you’ll have to take some out periodically and take them to a fish store to get rid of them. Don’t get me wrong though even when there’s a fish that will eat the babies in the tank there will always be some babies manage to survive from hiding. I have a 60 gallon that has 2 angels and 2 Bolivian rams as my main center piece fish, 2 for top 1/2 of tank 2 for bottom 1/2 of the tank. FYI platties also have live babies

You can put a betta in a 50 with other less flashy smaller finned fish. Just don't keep them with gourami or guppies or fish known to nip fins.

I was thinking about getting maybe 3-4 marbled mollies. If I got a betta, I would want a female.. Do I need to get 2-3? Or will one work? What other fish can I get witha betta?

I read that you should get fish in schools as they get lonely without. But I am worried about overpopulating the tank.

I was thinking about getting maybe 3-4 marbled mollies. If I got a betta, I would want a female.. Do I need to get 2-3? Or will one work? What other fish can I get witha betta?

I read that you should get fish in schools as they get lonely without. But I am worried about overpopulating the tank.

Mollies are hard water fish while bettas go in softer water. I don't think they can go together. If you don't mind tetras there are a lot to choose from there, just stay away from skirt tetras as they are known to nip fins. Rasboras work too, they are both schooling fish so at least 6.
Bettas don't school so you are fine with one, i've never tried to keep more than one in a single tank so I can't give you any advice on that.

You'd have to test the GH of your water to determine how hard or soft it is. Fish adapt to pH and bettas have been farmed for awhile now and have been raised and bred in harder water.

My 2 cents is to put a variety of fish in a 50g and save the betta for your 5-10g tanks. Bettas like slow flowing water which eliminates a lot of other fish in the tank with them that don't have a labrynith organ. Aggression is another issue especially if you go with a male. Bettas just aren't really suited for a community tank.

Back
Top Bottom