Help! Nitrates at 40ppm!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstfinch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10g aquarium stocked with 6 cherry barbs (2m:4f) and a single male guppy (will get another tomorrow if I can reduce my trates). Why do I have such a high nitrate reading? The tank is not planted, just has some artificial plants and a rock formation. What can I do, other than more frequent and larger PWC's? I am getting frustrated, because my tank isn't really overstocked, but my nitrates are uncomfortably high.

Thanks ahead of time for the input.

Are you using paper test strips or liquid drop tests?
let the water sit out over night and test again in the morning too.
I dont know what size your barbs are but they are on the larger size full grown for a ten gallon tank. It might be that you are at your limits for stock of your ecosystem and more frequent water changes are needed.
To help balance it out you could try some real plants that will use the nitrates.

I am using the API liquid kit as recommended to me. The barbs do not grow any larger than 1.5 inches or so. Many people would argue, but I was told that a school of Cherry Barbs and a couple Guppies would a comfortable stocking for my 10g. I have been contemplating the addition of plants, so that may be an option.

The stocking is fine.

What is the current water change schedule (how often and how much)?

Plants will remove some nitrate, but not all the other bad things that build up. We focus on nitrate so much because it correlates well with all those other things that we cannot test for. Adding plants will fix one symptom, but not fix the problem (but live plants are always a great option, just not a fix for this specific problem).

Okay, I think I may be overfeeding (2x per day, every day). My brother-in-law (adadkins1) told me to cut back to once a day and skip one day a week. My current water change schedule is 30% every 7-10 days. I will: reduce feedings, perform water changes more frequently, and possibly add plants to remedy the problem. Does this seem to be the best plan?

Pretty much. I like to feed my fish well, but that does require more water changes. I try to do them at least once a week. I do 80% water changes, but I definitely do not suggest jumping into that. Slowly stepping up to about 50% weekly should make a big improvement.

I am using the API liquid kit as recommended to me. The barbs do not grow any larger than 1.5 inches or so. Many people would argue, but I was told that a school of Cherry Barbs and a couple Guppies would a comfortable stocking for my 10g. I have been contemplating the addition of plants, so that may be an option.

I guess that all depends on the size of the school :fish2::fish1:
they could live comfortably in a 10g and i am not saying you are overstocked and cant have a few more guppies just for your current schedule and tank set up you are at the limits and require more frequent PWCs. If you dont mind doing more water changes then you can add a few more fish.
i feed once a day and skip a day here and there (sometimes 2). i would cut back on the feeding a bit.
You have a good plan and should fix your problem but keep testing just in case.

Thanks! I am his brother-in-law and I am going to vacuum his tank real good in the morning. You make a good point that the fish aren't too big, but the system is reaching its upper limit for safety. I am trying to talk him into plants, but he is scared of alge issues. Hopefully this plan will work. We will keep y'all updated as things progress.

Back
Top Bottom