Help , not algae weird orange stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumUser

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have this orange stuff keeps growing on my tank and it wont go off unless i use razor scraper unlike the regular algae im used to, please someone help me with this im a newbie ,also i always have oil on top of my aquarium im not using skimmer. I have the same problem on this new tank and my old tank, can this be caused by soil? I use ada mazonia 2 , and for this tank im only putting dwarfgrass for carpeting and other background plant i forgot the name :s , nothing else yet ,how to solve this orange stuff

Attachments

• 20210930_014709.jpg
    20210930_014709.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 27
How long have you had the tank?

It looks like brown algae to me, also called diatoms. Normal to see this in a new tank. Should go away on its own as the tank establishes and nutrients balance out. Might take a few weeks, maybe a couple of months.

Harmless, can be manually removed. Turning up the light or increasing the lighting period can help, as plants and green algae will start to outcompete the brown algae for nutrients. Green algae is easier to deal with. Maybe get something that eats brown algae. Nerite snails perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom