Help on new fish for 28 gallon bow front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perrytheparrotfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,I have a 28 gallon bow front and want to add a new fish in a week or so.This is my stock right now:
1 Gold Gourami
1 Blue Gourami
1 Blood Parrot
I was looking at getting a pleco(don't know what type) or a rainbow shark.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
and do you know if gouramis and blood parrots will eat baby guppies.I have a 10 gallon guppy tank and they keep having babies.

Do you know how big bristle plecos get...I also have seen a rubber lip pleco that is pretty small

Biggest BN Pleco I've ever seen was about 6 inches. That's one of the reasons I love them, they're good at cleaning up and they stay rather small.

Oh, that's good to know. Do you think i could add any other fish in my tank? I love tiger barbs.

I would watch your two gouramis, they aren't exactly the nicest of fish and all three of those together full grown might be cramped. I have a 28g bow and have my juvie flowerhorn in it. He's only four inches though.

If you like tiger barbs, then I would get rid of the other guys and have a nice school of six or so. It would make a nice entertainment piece.

I almost forgot about that, thanks. Right now my gouramis are about 2.5-3 inches, and my parrot fish is about 4.5-5 inches... do you know how big both of them will get?

p.s. Both gouramis are girls, if it makes a difference

Well if they are both girls it should make a difference, it is usually males that are territoriral to each other. Some may have different experiences however.

Blue and gold gouramis get around 4-6 inches. Blood parrots, I believe, get around seven inches tops. I really think you should rehome that blood parrot, they get big and may outgrow the tank. Tiger barbs plus gourami equals not good. Tigers have a bad reputation for being fin nippers.

Thanks a lot...but i researched that depending on the environment, the blood parrot could stay smaller, if i see it grow past about 6 inches, then i will rehome it or i will try to save up for a bigger tank, what size do you recomend?

A 40 or preferrably 55 will provide comfortable accomadations. Petco is having a 1$ per gallon sale, however I don't know how long it's going on for, perhaps until mid-July? In that case you should hurry before it ends!

bruinsbro1997 said:
A 40 or preferrably 55 will provide comfortable accomadations. Petco is having a 1$ per gallon sale, however I don't know how long it's going on for, perhaps until mid-July? In that case you should hurry before it ends!

July 16this when it ends.

thanks, and i saw that, the only problem is that my mom wont let me get another tank and i dont have enough money, so i will try to convince her. If I do get a 55 gallon tank, what filter should i get and should i only move the blood parrot and should i use live or fake plants.Should i add another blood parrot to the 55?

Back
Top Bottom