Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2020, 01:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help! Pea Puffers dead, weak

Hello, I just recently bought three pea puffers from a local fish store Iíd say about two weeks ago. They were doing fine. I noticed that two of the puffers liked to hang around each-other and hide in the fake plants while the other puffer likes to stare outside the glass and be in the front of the tank. Then tonight, noticed I was missing two. I checked where they normally might be, (hiding in the fake plant) but they werenít there. It wasnít until I checked my last resort, the water intake, and they were stuck.

I immediately grabbed my fish net and started to net one of them. Right off the bat I could tell they were more skinny than normal. I filled a small container with the tank water and started to take out the puffer, which I assumed was dead. As I took it out, it started to puff up. I dropped it back in the tank as a startled reaction and examined as it floated and moped around. I then put it in the container and I could see itís fins still moving. I dropped a tiny bit of frozen blood worms in the container to see if it was starving, but it didnít bother. I currently have it in the container and itís moving every now and then but not to the extent of what Iíve seen. The other one I pulled out was dead. The puffer that is left in the tank is either a little bloated, or just healthy.

What couldíve caused these deaths?

Extra information: The tank is a 20 gallon hexagon. The puffers tank mates include two glo barbs, a loch eel, and a glo shark. The tank is a little dirty with algae that is caused from an extended amount of time with the light on. The loch eel dosenít bother anyone, usually stays at the bottom and hides. The glo shark is also a hider, he hides in the fake plants and comes out here and there. The barbs are always out and about, and donít bother the puffers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07AB6B9D-1F7F-4C37-99E4-5C5087406409.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	316794   Click image for larger version

Name:	EE86362A-92BB-4C1C-9870-3ED71FBA0263.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	316795  

Click image for larger version

Name:	581922BE-36D8-4036-8D0D-5A6EC69AE77D.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	316796  

Old 05-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

As for solid advice I donít have much. Sorry to hear about the puffers though. I do know however that puffers are easily stressed. And when they are itís bad. Iíve seen and heard stories of fish stressing so much that it eventually kills them. Iím assuming thatís what happened to the one that died, the skinny one I would put back in the tank with the other and put something over the filter intake that prevents them from getting stuck. I however have no experience with puffers so if anyone else knows anything or saw a mistake in my post please, by all means correct me and help out.

Tags
bloodworms, dead, dwarf puffers, freshwater, glofish, pea puffers, puffer, pufferfish, puffers, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com