Help!! PH crashing post-move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie_lynn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As background to this help request, I just completed a move from California to St. Louis Missouri through the help and advice of members here on this forum. After a four-day journey by car, my three shrimp and I arrived at our new home.

All 3 Amanos survived the trip, thanks to the well seasoned sponge filter and a bucket set up that I had going. All the plants, substrate, and Driftwood that I had in my tank also made the trip safely in wet containers. This includes the second filter that usually runs in my fluval spec tank.

Now comes the part where I as a newbie made a foolish though well intentioned mistake. In the process of moving them back to their tank, I noticed that the tap water here had a funny taste. So I thought that if I filtered it, it might be safer for my shrimp. I think that instead I have caused the pH to crash and I am having a very difficult time getting it back to normal.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated. Every time I think I am starting to understand the hobby, something like this happens and I realize how little I really know. I am going to write down everything I know so far below, in case it helps.

1. PH in the tank on the first night was at around 6.6. This was a combination of filtered St. Louis water and water that I brought with me from their tank in California. Acclimation was taken slowly and seemed to go well.

2. Everyone was fine, the shrimp were active, and I was in moving mode. So I didn't test the water again until 24 hours later. My shrimp are also very inactive at that point which had me worried.

3. Then the water test started and I found some interesting things… first, ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels were all normal. They still are. But pH has been a consistent problem. PH was at the lowest possible register (my kit doesn't test below 6.0).

4. On its own, I might have just thought it was a 6.0. But that combined with the odd shrimp behavior had me start a whole round of ph tests. I have found the following:

St. Louis water straight from tap: 8.4
St. Louis water after 1 hr aeration in a bucket: 7.8
St. Louis water filtered w/ Britta: 6.0

I have now done several very small PWC's in 10 minute intervals via advice I found online. Both times, I was able to raise The pH to 6.4 by just changing out a half gallon (so I don't think The pH is totally crashed). By gradually changing another few gallons, I could get it up to about 6.6.

However in both cases within a few hours the pH had crashed again, back down to 6.0 (or lower). The last time I did this, I also tested the water that I had taken out of the tank but left in a bucket. That water stayed at 6.6 and did not revert back to 6.0. That makes me think it must be something in my tank that is causing the problem. I'm not sure whether it was the filtered water that initially caused the issue, or whether it's something else. There is nothing new in the tank besides the water. Only all the same things that were in the tank before.

With that said, if you have made it through this post, and are willing/able to help, all advice will be appreciated. I would hate to see the shrimp die after coming so far. Thus far, they have been troopers. And once I manage to raise the ph just a little, they become more active and start to come watch what I'm doing and eat a little algae.

Some questions:

Should I remove my driftwood for now until the pH problem is solved? It has never been a problem before, but maybe right now it is making things worse?

Given that pH outside of the tank seems more stable, should I take my sponge filter back out, set it back up in the bucket they traveled in, and remove my shrimp to that bucket until the pH problem is resolved in the tank?

Also, I am finding that it is taking a very very long time to raise the pH through the small partial water changes. It may be that I am doing something wrong (i.e., not changing enough at a time). This time, I am devoted to bringing it all the way up to the St. Louis level (7.8 after initial aeration) even if it takes all day. But if you have some ideas on what I might do to safely speed up the process, it would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance! I am getting a crash course in PH (no pun intended) which was always stable in California.

You need to add minerals. Crushed coral into the filter or get some Seachem Equalibrium to bring the ph up and stable. Just add a little at a time until you are where the critters are doing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree. Crushed coral should do it. Also, after a move like that there could be many reasons the shrimp seem inactive. I have a Amano shrimp breeding in a ph of 5.9 and a Kh of <3

Ok, thank you, I am going to try this. I'm assuming both would be safe to use in my freshwater tank? The employees at the pet stores kept asking me if it was for my saltwater tank… But they also didn't sound terribly knowledgeable so I'm going with your advice.

How big is the tank? I only put about 1/2 cup of the coral in my 29g and it is keeping my ph from dramatic shifts. That 10lb bag they sell it in is gonna last a long time. Lol

Small!!! So probably just a very little? A tablespoon? Mine is a five gallon tank with just 3 resident shrimp.

Small!!! So probably just a very little? A tablespoon? Mine is a five gallon tank with just 3 resident shrimp.

Just start with your tablespoon and increase if ph is still moving dramatically.

Thank you! I just got home with my bag of coral sand and added a tablespoon to the filter. About how long should I wait before testing the water again? Should I continue with small water changes every 15 minutes or so till it stabilizes, or just wait for now to let the coral start working?

It really depends on your filter flow and how fast the tank water is turning. I would wait at least an hour before another test. But watch your shrimp if they need help faster do a PWC to bring up the ph faster. But the coral should keep it from dropping again.

Round 1 of coral didn't work. After raising the ph to 6.4 and trying to see if it would stick, it went straight back down to lowest possible reading again within an hour. I'm doubling the coral and will try again soon.

Rats. What type of coral did they sell you? It should be crushed coral. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470796253.965160.jpg

They sold me coral sand. The guy said it is the same stuff and should have the same effect, but it is ground more finely.

I'm trying to think about what else I may be doing wrong. I have put the coral sand into a clean nylon, tied it off, and stuck it into my filter. I just finished moving it from the bottom hole of my filter to the top hole instead. I'm considering taking some of the driftwood out of the tank for the night, just in case it helps. Would live plants be helping or hurting things at this juncture? Because I could also remove a few of them if you thought it would help.

Thanks for all the advice. I figure all I can do is keep trying... I just hope a resolution is reached soon. Maybe 2 tablespoons of the sand will help where one tablespoon failed...

Add some more sand and try a PWC. I am not familiar with that product and not sure of the mineral content.

They seem to have survived the night. One of them is a little more active, the other two are hiding in their usual spot. Honestly, I think it's amazing they have survived this long with all the fluctuations. They are troopers.

pH was super low again when I got up, so I have added more sand and did a small PWC this morning in an effort to see if it will hold. Maybe the sand was able to start taking effect overnight because so far, the water seems to be going up in pH more quickly than before. And hopefully holding the pH, too? I'll let you know.

I am wondering if it might help for me to remove the carbon packet from my filter for now? Currently, I have one sponge filter (which is what I used in the bucket that the shrimp came here in), as well as the usual fluval spec filter with a carbon packet and a packet of bio beads. I have now also added the coral sand. Could the carbon filter be counteracting the coral sand?

Will be adding more sand in another half an hour if it still isn't helping to normalize the pH.

Carbon shouldn't reduce the mineral content.

Back
Top Bottom