Help picking Fish for new 55 gallon tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Need some advice for stocking my new 55 gallon tank which should be here soon, I'm very indecisive and can't make up my mind! I was going to go with Discus but I'm having second thoughts and am thinking about doing a community cichlid tank if possible with smaller species of cichlids. I also will be putting a bn pleco and a feather fin catfish and some yo- yo loaches in this tank. PLEASE help I just can't decide!! :) if anyone has Discus what size is your tank? How many do you have? And what are suitable tank mates? Would the ones I listed above work? I appreciate any and all advice! :)

Oh yeah. I love discus. Don't have any though. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

TankMan said:
Oh yeah. I love discus. Don't have any though. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Any suggestions? What fish do you have? I would like to have a peaceful tank! :)

The fw 10g has just ghost shrimp and some guppies, as well as 5 peppered cory's (my favorite fish). The 55g has tiger barbs, one RTS and that's it right now. Still stocking slowly due to my BB.

well, you could make it more South american and get tetras, corys, ect. in a large tank you could have big schools of small fish that move together for a good lookin effect.

Well I was really dead set on getting Discus until I went to my neighborhood Cheddars Restaurant and really started checking out their humongous fish tank (the kind I dream about lol) They have mostly a cichlid tank, it had some convicts, blood parrots, yellow labs etc and the coolest looking algae eaters I've ever seen!

I should go back there soon so I can take pictures and see if people can identify all them for me!

Need some advice for stocking my new 55 gallon tank which should be here soon, I'm very indecisive and can't make up my mind! I was going to go with Discus but I'm having second thoughts and am thinking about doing a community cichlid tank if possible with smaller species of cichlids. I also will be putting a bn pleco and a feather fin catfish and some yo- yo loaches in this tank. PLEASE help I just can't decide!! :) if anyone has Discus what size is your tank? How many do you have? And what are suitable tank mates? Would the ones I listed above work? I appreciate any and all advice! :)

well i dont have discus however I am setting up a 75 gallon planted tank. My stock list is
6 German Blue rams
10 Cardinal Tetras
10 Seprea Tetras
2 Discus - Later down the road, going to use the money i get from breeding my rams (Hopefully) to buy the discus.

CleverBs said:
well i dont have discus however I am setting up a 75 gallon planted tank. My stock list is
6 German Blue rams
10 Cardinal Tetras
10 Seprea Tetras
2 Discus - Later down the road, going to use the money i get from breeding my rams (Hopefully) to buy the discus.

That sounds like a pretty compatible tank but most info I've researched recommends 5-6 discus, just in case you didn't know :)

That sounds like a pretty compatible tank but most info I've researched recommends 5-6 discus, just in case you didn't know :)

I do but i have seen and heard many people who keep only 1 or 2 and they do just fine. So personaly ill take the risk, because I think they will be happy beings ill have perfect water proam for them beings my water with be soft and 6.5ph this should keep them plenty happy

I like a bunch of different little fish. You can get all kinds of colors and when they school together it looks so pretty. I have danios, platys, 2 gouramis, and then cory catfish, and one pleco. It's awesome watching all of my little fishies swim together. My friend has a cichlid tank and yeah its pretty, but after you watch the tank for a while you can tell the fish are stressed they all just chase each other around constantly. I'd have to imagine that's stressful on the fish. There's a few that don't even come out of hiding because of it. I prefer small community mixture. Good luck with yours though!

Back
Top Bottom