HELP!!! please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dantheburlyman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a planted aquarium and some of my plants have started growing something on them I assume it is some type of algae but want to get other opinions cause I'm not sure if so what do I need to do to get rid of it thanks in advanceIMG_1953.jpgIMG_1954.jpgIMG_1955.jpgIMG_1956.jpg

How long has your tank been set up? What's your lighting and how long is it on? Most generally too much light is the cause of algae. New tanks sometimes get diatoms which are a brown algae from silicates that will go away on its own.

I have never had diatoms so not sure if that's what you have, I need the added info from you on your tank.

Last edited:
My light stays on generally for 8 hours sometimes at the most 10 also my tank has been setup for about 2 months my lights is 1 t8

If the discoloration on the leaves is an algae buildup it should just rub off with your fingers. If it doesn't the problem is likely a nutrient or lighting deficiency.

How are you feeding your plants ? If you are pouring in a liquid food directly into the tank you will get spots on you leafs , i so try doing this , take a cup of water from your tank and pour the plant food into it stir and then pour it in and the spots will vanish . I had this happen to me when i first went to live plants . Good luck .

Back
Top Bottom