HELP please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are there any fish in the tank? I would do a pretty big PWC and get a new therometer. Nothing with mercury. I'm not a fan of those. I only use Coralife Digital. They are about $6 and you don't ahve to worry about anything like that happening.

That looks like an alcohol filled one. I don't think it is going to cause much problem. A big PWC is a good precaution though.

I would do a 50% water change to be on the safe side and run some carbon in the filter for a day or two to remove any impurities. I don't think these thermometers have mercury in them anymore. I think it's colored alcohol.

I never ever thought about what would happen if one broke inside a tank!! thanks to your post I'm goign to go out buya couple of the coralife digital ones in the next few days!

since you guys are talking about alcohol filled versus the digital...is there anything wrong with the ones that stick to the outside of the tank? the sticker ones?

The problem with the stickers is that it measures the temperature of the glass, not the water. It's not an accurate reading.

I had one of those stick-ons, and when I got my digital, found it to be 8 degrees off. Never trust those stick-ons.

wow i never thought of it that way, i have 2 stickies on my 55 one on the left one on the right.. maybe I should get a submersible one.. eeeshh

personally if I weren't too far along with the cycle Id start over.. i wouldn't want to chance it with that.. but first call the manufacturer and ask if it was alcohol or mercury.. if its alcohol you're cool.

Back
Top Bottom