Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello everyone!
I have 2 questions for you!

1. I recently received a 38 gallon tank and stand from my fiancť. It was bought from someone off of Craigslist. Being the newbie I am to having a tank, I didn't realize until after I was home that the center plastic brace was broken off.
I was wondering if that is ok? When i called my go-to girl at Petco, she said in a 38g tank it isn't used for "support" it's more for the ability to split the tank, which I don't want or need to do.

Which brings me to my 2nd question.
2. The tank did not come with a hood. It came with everything but a hood. I went to Home Depot and bought a $20 piece of the thickest plexiglass I could find and had it cut to size. I got 2 pieces exactly for my tank and some extra.
Now, I cut 3 additional pieces to go width wise to keep the cover from touching the water! NO LUCK! The plexiglass is bowing. I'm afraid the light is going to fall in the tank! Help!

Idk if I can purchase a hood for this tank bc I have a bigger filter than what it came with ( i have a Tetra Advanced Filtration System 30-60 and it needs a 12 inch space. Plus I have a little cutout for the tube for my bubbler).

Im so sorry for the long, drawn out post- I just don't want to hurt my fish or myself. Or electrocute any of us. Thanks for any help/advice/tips in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-732611619.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	106397  

Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I bought glass covers for my tank. The come with a strip that lets you cut to size for your filter.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Where can I buy these glass covers? Will it fit even tho I'm missing that center brace?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not sure on that:/ I got mine at my lfs. I try to support them even though I could've gotten them cheaper else where. The pet place online has them. You could look at the sizes they come in. Is there no way to get a new bracket?? I'm not sure if that's possible. Maybe you could find a used tank and steal it

Tags
black moor, black moors, freshwater, moor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com