Help! Please I have mystery items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reneegadeprincess

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 gallon planted tank. 1.5 in. organic soil, 1in gravel. 10 gallons filter with air. Moss, wisteria, 3 diff anubias. 6 shrimp. Feed shrimp 1-2x week. I noticed that I have an out break off 3 mystery things: 1. worms everywhere (LOTS). 2. the smallest things zipping around 3. pencil small snails (no clue).

Any clue to what these are and how to get rid of them?

Not sure of the other two but are the worms small white things that look like thread? If so it's probably planaria which are harmless to fish (I'm guessing to shrimp too), but it's usually a sign of overfeeding. Can you get some pics?

img_1667991_0_e03cc91a25c159404cacd956dc5d9c86.jpg

All of these things will get worse with ovefeeding. That is a common pond snail. The worms may be planaria. Do some good gravel vacs and water changes to remove as much as possible and reduce your feeding to every other day, as long as the fish aren't babies they will tolerate it as well. Feed very small amounts, and I mean very very small amounts only once every other day. I had planaria and I got rid of them easily by doing this. The reduced feedng will greatly reduce your snails reproduction rate and you can manually remove the ones you see.

Back
Top Bottom