Help please - mini-cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cr1984

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 54 gallon corner tank it has been cycled for 2 months, I have aquaclear fluval 70 with 2 sponges in it and bio max media in it. Lost power at my house for about 3 days and my tank now has 1.0 ppm ammonia. I have a stock tanked of 4 dwarf gouramis, 5 mollies, 6 cories, 3 guppies, 2 patties, 1 chocolate pleco, and six snails. I have six plants in it from swords to Madagascar Lace plant, and some moss balls. I'm still learning I just added a sponge filter to it last week. I've been doseing with prime to keep the ammonia non toxic and doing 30% water changes everyday. So my question is there a safe way to recycle my tank? I don't have anywhere to move the fish so they have to stay in unfortunately. It's been about 8 days now still no nitrites and nitrates. Ph is 7.1 or 7.2 depending on my digital Metter and api test says the same, the temp of the tank is at 76 degress. Thanks in advanced for any help or ideas

Is that a HOB filter? What’s the media and have you replaced anything of it? Filter media can be eg carbon but the nitrifying bacteria will colonise it so throwing it out reduces bacterial population on new tanks not yet stable. Just an example.

As you had - using prime and water changes.

See if anyone has cycled media for sale locally and/or try the bacteria in a bottle.

I have several battery powered air-pumps - this could be worthwhile if you get long power blackouts. Canister filters are pretty well sealed so ok for a day off but after three days of no flow I’ve had them go anaerobic (sulphur smell) and small ammonia spike. So maybe happened with yours although HOB filters should have more natural air exchange I’d have thought.

Last edited:
Hello cr...

There's a very simple method to reestablish the bacteria colony. You remove and replace one-third of the tank water every three days for a couple of weeks. At the end of that time you remove and replace half the water weekly for as long as you keep the tank running. The smaller water changes will keep the water chemistry in the safe zone for the fish and leave a little dissolved nitrogen to nourish the bacteria, so it will grow back to it's former size. The larger, weekly water changes will maintain a steady water chemistry once the bacteria is reestablished.

B

Back
Top Bottom