HELP PLEASE: Using metro + Focus on foods to treat HITH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ambizro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone, I finally got the metro and focus in the mail and I want to start feeding my GT this with his pellets or other foods I got. He has one small spot and a little bit of clear poop. I believe the trigger for the hith was due to a self inflicted eye injury from banging into driftwood. He is still eating very well and doesn't show any other signs of illness but I am certain its hith.

I tried mixing metro + focus and some small .5mm - 1mm pellets with a bit of tank water and letting it sit in the mix then dumping to the tank. This didn't seem to work well at all. The food didn't look like it had anything stuck to it at all and all the focus and metro went floatin all around the tank and the food fell to the bottom where he did eat it.

After that I took a single 3mm algae disc I got from hikari and made at a bit damp with water then tossed some metro on it with a bit of focus. Dropped it in the tank and he eat it right up. Meds and focus was clearly stuck to the algae disc, YAY!

So here are my questions/concerns:

1. on the metro container it says to dose 1 scoop per tablespoon of food. No way in hell can Kai mt GT eat close to that much food in a feeding. Do I need to just do some math here and cut down the dosage?

2. If i want to continue to feed these algae wafers which he loves covered in metro and focus, how can i ensure I am not overdosing the metro. He literally eats the 3mm disc whole 1 sec after it his the water. so I think this is the best way to feed. My biggest concern right now is about overdosing the metro. Should I put his full dose on one disc? or a few discs? how much would his dose be?

3. I was also thinking about using some of my red wigglers aka composting worms to feed with the meds. I am sure it will stick to the wetish body of the worms with ease and because he eats like 3-4 per serving it would be easy to put the metro + focus on them and ensure no waste.
I worry that maybe this food source for the duration of the treatment might be too rich aka unhealthy for my GT. thoughts?

4. how many days should i feed metro? i feed 2 times a day everyday. so maybe 1 week? 2 weeks? more? Should both feeding per day be with metro or only 1 feeding per day? should the dosage be split between both feedings or all at once?

he is just under 7" now if that helps. if someone has a suggestion for how much of the metro to feed per feeding this would be great. I know I can get him to ingest it with this method which is the good news.

How many days Should i treat?

Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom