Help please with stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 28 gallon euro aquarium with marineland stealth pro 150w heater, penguin 150 bio filter, sand substrate, 4 big black stones, glass canopy and 17w strip light. Right now it is cycling with 1 female veiltale betta and 3 albino Cory catfish. I plan to keep 6-12 Cory cats. So I want like a fish that will be like the star of the tank lol. Like really unique and colorful that will stand out from the corys and betta. It has to be one that is extremely peaceful and I can only get 1 so It has to prefer living with other species rather than it's own species. Most of the fish I see at petco say either keep in groups of 3 or more or only keep it by itself. I want one that likes to live In a tank that only has different species not it's own species. So to sum It up I'm looking for an extremely peaceful fish that like to live with other species rather than school with it's own species that is small enough and is compatible with my aquarium. And this is my fist aquarium so a hardy species that's easy to take care of. And I want it to thrive not just survive that my rhyme lol! Preferably something really big. Thanks! I know about fishless cycling It's a pong story I'm stuck with cycling with these fish I wanted fishless cycling but it didn't work out I can't do fishless cycling so please don't say return them thanks!

Also my corys stay at the bottom and betta at the top so I'd prefer one that swims in the middle.

Given enough time, i could probably come up with somthing for you, but....fish eat fish, so somthing really big is probably gonna start thinking that beautiful bettafish of yours looks a lot like a nice thick steak, There are lots of laid back fish under normal circumstances, or at least compatable, but mixing big and little most times dont work out. Or at least thats my experience.

The biggest issue with suggesting another fish for your tank, is the Betta.

A lot of the "middle-swimmer" fish are similar in body-shape to the betta, and even if they aren't betta, the betta may still attack them out of instinct.

Ok so it's not possible to add anything other than albino Cory catfish to my tank? If I took the betta out what would be my options? Thanks! How many albino Cory cats would you put in and If I decide to take the betta out would that give me more choices?
The biggest issue with suggesting another fish for your tank, is the Betta.

A lot of the "middle-swimmer" fish are similar in body-shape to the betta, and even if they aren't betta, the betta may still attack them out of instinct.

Ok I don't want a big fish just something small I thought I mentioned I don't want a big fish I want one the size of my betta I might have forgot to add that I was typing fast and didn't re read it to check If I left anything out.
Given enough time, i could probably come up with somthing for you, but....fish eat fish, so somthing really big is probably gonna start thinking that beautiful bettafish of yours looks a lot like a nice thick steak, There are lots of laid back fish under normal circumstances, or at least compatable, but mixing big and little most times dont work out. Or at least thats my experience.

I have a 28 gallon euro aquarium with marineland stealth pro 150w heater, penguin 150 bio filter, sand substrate, 4 big black stones, glass canopy and 17w strip light. Right now it is cycling with 1 female veiltale betta and 3 albino Cory catfish. I plan to keep 6-12 Cory cats. So I want like a fish that will be like the star of the tank lol. Like really unique and colorful that will stand out from the corys and betta. It has to be one that is extremely peaceful and I can only get 1 so It has to prefer living with other species rather than it's own species. Most of the fish I see at petco say either keep in groups of 3 or more or only keep it by itself. I want one that likes to live In a tank that only has different species not it's own species. So to sum It up I'm looking for an extremely peaceful fish that like to live with other species rather than school with it's own species that is small enough and is compatible with my aquarium. And this is my fist aquarium so a hardy species that's easy to take care of. And I want it to thrive not just survive that my rhyme lol! Preferably something really big. Thanks! I know about fishless cycling It's a pong story I'm stuck with cycling with these fish I wanted fishless cycling but it didn't work out I can't do fishless cycling so please don't say return them thanks!

Hmmm thought i read"Somthing preferably really BIG" :confused:

If you take the BettaFish out your options are endless as long as you stay within the compatability charts.

I didn't mean to say that I was trying to say that's preferably not really big. Sorry
Hmmm thought i read"Somthing preferably really BIG" :confused:

If you take the BettaFish out your options are endless as long as you stay within the compatability charts.

What to get ???

The corys will be alright with most anything, i have them in all my tanks. Is there a particular theme youd like to stick to??? such as a certain region of the world. Africa, South America, The Amazon.?? I think theme tanks are much more attractive, and it easier to accomodate fish that are from the same geography than 6 fish from all around the world. That euro is one of my favorites as well if you wanna set up a nice mini-reef, Minus the corys of course :D

I wasn't really thinking of a theme but now that you mention it that would be nice. Suggestions?
The corys will be alright with most anything, i have them in all my tanks. Is there a particular theme youd like to stick to??? such as a certain region of the world. Africa, South America, The Amazon.?? I think theme tanks are much more attractive, and it easier to accomodate fish that are from the same geography than 6 fish from all around the world. That euro is one of my favorites as well if you wanna set up a nice mini-reef, Minus the corys of course :D

Back
Top Bottom