Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Help!!! QUICK!

I just bought a powder blue gourami to put in my 30 gallon with 2 mollies, 3 guppies, 3 Cory's, and 5 danios.

The mollies are harassing the gourami like crazy!!! Nipping constantly! What should I do?
I have the light off now. They are also chasing my guppies now which they never have done!

Should I give it time or just take the gourami back?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have you got a quarantine tank? Because if so, you should quarantine the mollies for a night or two and then put them back in and things should be fine. (:

Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmanwalking View Post
Have you got a quarantine tank? Because if so, you should quarantine the mollies for a night or two and then put them back in and things should be fine. (:
I didn't know that mollies were territorial like that! Could I take them out and rearrange and put them back in?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

They can be, especially when a new fish is added because they think they can chance their arm since they have been in the tank for longer and have established territories. And yeah, you could, because that will split up their territories and make it as though they are the newest ones in the tank.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
They can be, especially when a new fish is added because they think they can chance their arm since they have been in the tank for longer and have established territories. And yeah, you could, because that will split up their territories and make it as though they are the newest ones in the tank.
I took them out and rearranged. When I put them back in it was the same!! Will this behavior usually continue? If I give it time could it stop?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow, that's weird. Have you got a QT to put them into for like 24 hours? Maybe the few minutes wasn't long enough.

To answer your next question, it really depends on the fish. Sometimes it will just stop, sometimes it wont. You know?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My male Molly did this to my Harlequin Rasboras when I added them to the main tank. Luckily they are faster and more agile than him. By the next morning all was well again.

Is it just chasing, or is there hitting/nipping involved? If its just chasing, then I'd say give it a day and see if things settle down.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
My male Molly did this to my Harlequin Rasboras when I added them to the main tank. Luckily they are faster and more agile than him. By the next morning all was well again.

Is it just chasing, or is there hitting/nipping involved? If its just chasing, then I'd say give it a day and see if things settle down.
It's nipping and hitting quite a bit!! As much as they can!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Wow, that's weird. Have you got a QT to put them into for like 24 hours? Maybe the few minutes wasn't long enough.

To answer your next question, it really depends on the fish. Sometimes it will just stop, sometimes it wont. You know?
I don't have a qt tank but I do have a 10 gallon with a few white skirt tetras and pristella tetras. Should I try that tank for 24 hours?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cant hurt... plus it would be interesting to see how they react to different fish.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I took the more aggressive Molly back to the store and put the dalmation Molly in my 10 gallon. He has been in the ten gallon for a couple of days.

In my 30 gallon I rearranged a little bit more then before.

So if I put my dalmation Molly back in the 30 gallon do you think it should be fine?

Is there a chance that it will just go back to harassing my blue powder gourami?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've had my dalmation Molly in my 10 gallon for 2-3 weeks now.

If I put him back into my 30 gallon do you think he will mess with the gourami?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
Cant hurt... plus it would be interesting to see how they react to different fish.
If I put my dalmation Molly back into my 30 gallon now that it'll b fine with the gourami???
It's been about 2-3 week!

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hi | Food Question »