Help, red water????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

veronika91

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My daughter and I set up a 29 gallon tank about 6 weeks ago. we currently have 4 platys and 4 molleys and one neon. the platys had white spots on their tails, so we had put in an ick treatment which turned the water blue. a week later we put in a tetracycline treatment, which turned the water yellow. after two weeks i put in some salt. Since then, the water has been red! the fish seem fine, but it looks terrible. Also there is bubblyscum at the surface that started with the TC treatment. We have changed about 25% of the water. I took out a resin building we had added.

Any ideas? should we just clean it out and start all over?

thanks

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!
Have you replaced the carbon in the filter? What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites)?

I had taken out the carbon filter during these treatments. it is new, and I put it back in after the tank had been red for a week. I had the water tested at the store just before adding the salt. I don't have water testing stuff at home yet.

My 40 keeps coming up with rusty water..I am resigned to it until I change filtration methods for now. As long as my parameters are zeroes and my fish seem pleased i don't want to do too much monkeying around.

In my particular case the pink menace is infusoria. Which I had something to eat it other than snack sized baby bettas and the two surviving chocolate gourami fry.

with weird colors always test the water for Nitrite/Nitrates a lot since that is the cycle end it comes at.
As long as your readings are good (Ammonia-0\Nitrite-0\ Nitrates under .05 and no higher than .10), don't panic and do some researching ion WHAT creeping crud it actually is and then take the steps to clarity.

Back
Top Bottom