Help!!! Shrimp and corys!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossco

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey so I added a big ghost shrimp to my tank! And I just caught him dragging one of my corys into a cave! And he was goin after my other Cory cats!? Is this normal. I thought they could be in same tank!

larger ghost shrimp can be territorial towards there own, though ive never heard of them going after fish, you sure its not some type of crayfish or "lobster"

Ghost Shrimp are not always the peaceful creatures people make them out to be. Could be something else, though.

It's def a ghost shrimp. I have a few in another tank. This one is big and looks to be pregnant yes ill upload a pic for u guys!

image-1493540463.jpg

I got him from petsmart. ( I never usually get my Fish from there ) I took him out and put him in with a betta in a smaller tank.

There is a prawn that looks almost identical to ghost shrimp and they go after and eat fish. Often times other species of shrimp and prawn are mixed into shipments of young ghost shrimp because they all look the same when young. Some of these other species are predatory and once they mature you run into problems.

There is a prawn that looks almost identical to ghost shrimp and they go after and eat fish. Often times other species of shrimp and prawn are mixed into shipments of young ghost shrimp because they all look the same when young. Some of these other species are predatory and once they mature you run into problems.

+1

I can't see it well in the picture, but the behavior you're describing is exactly what I have experienced. Picked up some ghost shrimp and one of them was pretty large. Less than a day after I put them in the tank, I found the large one chomping on half of a harlequin rasbora. :( My research suggested that it was a river prawn, some species of Machrobrachium. It went back to the pet store in a hurry.

+1

I can't see it well in the picture, but the behavior you're describing is exactly what I have experienced. Picked up some ghost shrimp and one of them was pretty large. Less than a day after I put them in the tank, I found the large one chomping on half of a harlequin rasbora. :( My research suggested that it was a river prawn, some species of Machrobrachium. It went back to the pet store in a hurry.

Yea, most 'ghost' shrimp are different. I had one that ended up being a freshwater long armed shrimp. It was pushing 2.5 inches! It got it's own 10 gallon tank and ate like a hog.

Here is a better picture ! He's pretty big so far I put him in a different tank. All my fish were acting funny I thought something was up then ye I seen him with the peppered Cory ! I took him out real fast!

image-3311136610.jpg

This is an entertaining thread. I ran into the same problem buying a frog. Meant to buy an ADF but got an ACF. Soon she'll have her own tank.

I had a ghost shrimp (yes, I swear to god, it was a ghost shrimp not a prawn) grab a 1.5 inch rummy nose tetra and drag him down. The rummy later succumb to whatever would he received, because I saw my ghost shrimp all running around with chunks of tetra meat. And the big one (the original perpetrator) was running around with the head of the fish. The ghosty received.capital punishment later that day.

Does his body really have yellow on it or is it just the picture? Honestly it doesn't look like a ghost shrimp to me.

It's just the picture ye Unno everything is fine now that he's in a diff tank ! If he get outta line my male veil tale that he shared a tank with set it back in place lol

That "shrimp" definitely looks pregnant!! Have you ever heard of a Macrobrachium shrimp? When they are young they are often mistaken for ghost shrimps, but as they grow they get much bigger than ghost shrimp and are very aggressive as far as shrimp go...I have added a picture of a young Macrobrachium shrimp, and a link to more info about them... Good Luck!

Sorry the link for the pic is in another language!
http://forum.dwerggarnalen.nl/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2238

This link is for the info about the shrimp!
FAO Fisheries & Aquaculture*Macrobrachium rosenbergii

Last edited:
Thank u guys! Everything is good and ye I got 2 pregnant ones lol soo prob get alot more shrimp shortly! Thanks again for all the info!

Back
Top Bottom