Help!!! Somebody- PLEASE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greyhoundjane

Aquarium Advice Newbie
8O I need some fast advice from somebody! My husband and I volunteered to "babysit" a friends tank while he was away doing a nephrology fellowship. The tank is in my husband's law office in the reception area and is HUGE! (It took four big men to move the tank and that was empty) Tank is approx. 4' high x 4' long x 3' deep and houses several large goldfish of varying species. I hate to be ignorant, but they could be koi- I know a couple are over 15" long.
Anyway, today my husband came in after stopping by the office to feed the fish. He said that I needed some glue for the aquarium. Hungh?!!!! Apparently, one of the two glass braces (that also hold the glass covers and lights) fell into the aquarium. He said that the 1/4" plastic lip that hold this (??!) broke and I now need a new lip or way to support the lights, etc. There is one panel currently bridging the aquarium at about 1/3 the legth. This other broken bridge was at about 2/3 and is still attached on the back side.
What do I do????!!! It seems that I remember that these were siliconed on top of the plastic lip and I wondered about one- I guess this was that one. Would these both be braces to hold the glass sides of the aquarium.? Didn't really look like it did anything other than hold the glass top and lights, but.... I have had tanks in the past, but never one this size. I have greyhounds and I can tell you anything about them, but I lost a lot of fish in my aquarium days! Can somebody give me some advice? I sure hope that the tank doesn't have to be emptied- where it is situated and the traffic constant, I don't know how we would do that. It is late afternoon on Sunday and the office opens at 8am. We moved the tank in, etc on a Friday afternoon and it took forever to fill and took the entire weekend- with little sleep- to finish the entire set-up.
The tank has been undisturbed for about one year. Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated!
Jane

My first concern is that these braces are indeed that and are intended to support the integrity of the aquarium sides. Do you know (and can you contact) the person/company that built the aquarium in the first place? They will be able to tell you and may be able to repair things. Can you measure the width of the tank across the top and both ends and in the middle....this will help determine if there is any unreasonable bowing.

How, exactly, did this damage occur? It seems unlikely that it happened spontaneously after a whole year of function.

I had a couple pop spontaneously after more than a year. Happened to be near one when it went. Fortunately the glass held after shuddering, and has been holding water for 3 years since.

This is why I just let my autofeeders take care of things when I'm on vacation :wink:

WOW. IMO this is cause for concern. Toirtis gave you great advice in contacting the mfr for an opinion. A 4ft high tank is going to have alot of stress on the sides. Was the tank perfectly level when it was filled? It's very important that a tank of that size be level to avoid stressing the silicone joints.

Back
Top Bottom