Help starting a new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjkelly817

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking of buying a 35 gallon from the classifieds. It has an underground filtration system. Is that a bad idea?? i currently have a small 5 gallon tank. Just wondering what the pros and cons of this system is.
thanks

I am not a fan of UGF's. They build up detrimis under the filter and make it hard to clean out properly. Which in turn can cause high nitrates. For a 35 gal depending on stocking I would get a small cannister or an HOB.

I agree with Zagz. In the list of filters, UGFs are at the bottom in regards to efficiency compared to other types of filtration. A good hob or canister is the way to go.

and only 1 is needed right? sorry, i'm a newby at this. also is gravel okay for live plants or is sand better?
thanks

Yup...only one is needed for a tank that size...Ask again about preferences if you decide to get the tank (go for it btw).

Both gravel and sand work fine for plants....but I'll suggest sand because its cheaper and looks better and is easier to clean ect...and is cheaper and looks better lol.

But either works

so, i don't really know about prices. he is asking $150cdn for the tank, UGF, and he thinks he has an outside filter, hood, light, gravel and a cabinet stand. i am going to see it on sunday, just wondering if i should bargain him done on it.
sorry if these are dumb questions by the way

no such thing as a dumb question.. :) i would try to talk him down a bit, why not? and like everyone else said, you may as well just tell him you don't even want the ugf. may help with getting the price down, and it will certainly prevent a headache later... as a newb i started my 55gal with a ugf and an hob. i just bought a cannister and have the daunting task of yanking the ugf out now. d'oh!

from your personal experience you think a canister filter is better than an UGF? i mean will it take care of all the excess food (since something ate my ghost shrimp, look at my info for my fish species, if any of them could have eatten my shrimp)

Yes. IMO ugfs are a pain in the behind and are not that efficient of a filter. Canister far exceed the ugf. Some disagree but I have had both and despise the ugf. It will not take care of excess food. All it will do is pull it into the gravel. You still have to vac it out like you would if you did not have an ugf.

I can't get the My Info screen to pull up so could you just tell us what you have in the tank?

*edit*

It just pulled up. There is a bug with FF that wouldn't let it open. It could be the goby or the Barbs. I'm not too sure since I haven't kept any of the fish that you listed (except for the pleco and neons). Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Back
Top Bottom