Help Starting A "Tiny Monster" Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEFurlong

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new on this site but not new to the hobby. I've had 20 plus tanks, with my most recent tank being a 55 gallon Mbuna tank. Now though, I'm hoping to start up a planted tank with only a few large fish (2 to 5 fish), as I've noticed recently that I am enjoying my larger fish over my smaller fish (tetras, bettas, etc). I am particulary drawn towards Convicts and Jack Dempsey cichlids, but they are known for not being plant friendly. Also, the tank in question is another 55 gallon that I am hoping to make a show tank. I guess I'm asking about suggestions for large, plant friendly fish that would do well in a heavily planted 55 gallon. Sorry in advance for any spelling or grammer mistakes, as I am typing this from ny phone. :p Responses are appreciated.

Angelfish and pearl gouramis would look great
I'm not particularly fond of Angels. Had a few three or so years back, and in the end gave them to another aquarist. However, I've never had any Gouramis. What are their personalities like? My cichlids, excluding the Angels, have always had magnetic charm. Are they extremely docile, or do they have some spunk?

Pink kissers are hilarious and can be either extremely peaceful or aggressive depending on their moods! In addition they are tanks, nothing hurts them:)

A leopard ctenopoma is a great addition if you have larger fish.

No doubt, but they do make great complementary fish in planted tanks.

OP stated he was looking for 4-5 large fish...?
Yeah, definitely looking for some larger fellows. I'm even okay with a single pair of fish. All I want are energetic, large fish with personality since the tank will be for show in my house.

Hmmmm... I don't know much about them but maybe an African brown knife?

Throwing a curve ball here, but what about fancy goldfish? 4 big beauties in your 55 would no doubt look amazing!

Goldfish wouldn't work in a planted tank

I disagree as well. My goldie tanks are planted to very heavily planted. My pond is heavily planted as well. However, I would not put four Goldie's in a 55 unless there's plans to upgrade in the future.

Goldfish feed mainly on plants so unless you have thick leaved plants, goldfish aren't a good idea. Also goldfish are coldwater so that may affect stocking.

Back
Top Bottom